View Full Version : Balis over autos?

stantheflippin
10-08-2004, 03:17 PM
You know I really love automatic knives and it often makes me think which i like better???
I realized I truly like balis better what do you all think??? :rolleyes:

ExamonLyf
10-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Well.., heck.., I like to have a few autos myself, but they simply aren't something I like to collect. There's a ton of darn nice ones out there, and I've had several hundred I guess, but I've always stuck with Balisongs as far as collecting knives is concerned.

Autos are pretty much one-dimensional as far as playing with them, and the ways to open and goof around with Balisongs is endless (plus the lock-up for use in far stronger).

There is certainly no denying they are both "Flash & Funk" knives.., and slightly outside the "Mainstream".., but Balisongs have always been number one for me... :)

balibalistic
10-08-2004, 06:45 PM
I have to agree with you on that Pete,i realized i favoured bali's over auto's when i started selling all my automatics to buy more bali's :D .

ExamonLyf
10-08-2004, 07:17 PM
It certainly seems to be a common thread with the Bali-Folk B-B. As the number of custom makers increases making the type knife we like most, I see more and more autos going bye-bye to acquire the "Swingers"... :)

This is not to knock the guys who love autos most, and there is certainly some appeal to the "Thwack" of a really wellmade one, but those of us that like to play with knives have so many more possibilities.

Bottom line.., you'll rarely see many hits on a thread where some guy demonstrates how to open a D/A OTF.., but darn near any knife-nut appreciates the talent and dedication it takes to get good with a Balisong (whether it's practical or not).

Example: I don't know of any "Jugglers" that are rich and famous, but I certainly love to watch them do their stuff.., it's amazing, and I think the Balisong is similar (especially with two-handed routines).

If nothing else.., it's just plain fun.., never gets boring, and there's always something new to try.

The current Balisong culture is much more oriented towards manipulation and collecting than when I first started, and back then..., the knife brought along the Filipino tradition of being a pure fighting knife, that was basically disposable in a pragmatic sense.

Some of the first examples I ever saw were only sharpened for about the first 1.5" of the blade because they were for stabbing, and the Batanguenos in the Barrios of the Philippines could care less about finger rolls, aerials, Y2K-Rollovers, etc.

Hopefully we're seeing a slow evolution to where you younger folks won't have to worry about the negative stereotype given this type knife in our culture. I certainly hope so. It's a truly great design for utiliatrian use, not to shabby for self-defense (which I'm not recommending), and it's just a lot of fun when safety is always a significant part of the users mind-set.

shooby
10-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Well.., heck.., I like to have a few autos myself, but they simply aren't something I like to collect. There's a ton of darn nice ones out there, and I've had several hundred I guess, but I've always stuck with Balisongs as far as collecting knives is concerned.
Now...I know you have quite a balisong collection Pete... but you've had several hundred autos and you don't even collect them?!

Makes me all giddy when I think about the splendor that must be your bali collection! ;)

swingshot
10-11-2004, 03:00 AM
He said hes' *HAD* several hundred autos ;)

ExamonLyf
10-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Now...I know you have quite a balisong collection Pete... but you've had several hundred autos and you don't even collect them?!

Makes me all giddy when I think about the splendor that must be your bali collection! ;)

LOL.., as Swing mentioned Shooby..., that's several hundered autos over many many years of collecting knives, and remember I'm OLD :).., so that tells the whole tale!

I guess I should have worded that better, and currently.., I might have 12-15 autos max.., but I have never really collected them except with resale in mind when I could get a good price to start with.

Icon of Sin
10-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Autos are fun, I dont own any decent ones really, I just look at the price of an auto and would just rather buy a bali with it. :D

Blasto
10-14-2004, 04:11 PM
You know, when I first read this thread I thought, "Yeah, I like balisongs, but I'd much rather have a car." :p

There's definately a satisfaction to the clean thwunk of a good auto, but like that stretch armstrong toy I had as a kid, it gets boring quick.

Besides, balisongs close just as fast as they open. :101

TangPin
10-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Bali's are 100X stronger than any auto and just a quick!
(Providing you are using windmills)

Dawkind
10-18-2004, 06:53 PM
I've got both and to be honest, was into autos long before I ever had my first bali.

I've collected all kinds of knives and traded off my auto collection to enhance my bali collection..........rob Peter to pay Paul, what can I say?!? I am more interested in the balis I suppose but carry an auto #### near every day as an edc. I did carry a bali for several years as an edc and only stopped about a year ago.

I do agree that the auto's get boring rather quickly but there's not anything quite like a nice kicka$$ custom D/A automatic! :D

On the other hand, a nice Samson-ground custom kicka$$ bali will always do nicely, too... :smokin

ExamonLyf
10-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Bali's are 100X stronger than any auto and just a quick!
(Providing you are using windmills)

:).., well... 8o I certainly don't think the lock-up on a Balisong is 100 times as strong as a well made auto... :).., and certainly not than an Axis Lock auto, but they do have one Heck of a lock-up second only to a fixed blade.

Let's just figure 97 times stronger... :smokin

ExamonLyf
10-18-2004, 08:51 PM
On the other hand, a nice Samson-ground custom kicka$$ bali will always do nicely, too... :smokin

:101

gfhoward
10-19-2004, 11:08 PM
what's a D/A automatic?

Dawkind
10-20-2004, 08:56 AM
what's a D/A automatic?

Double Action..............meaning I can either thumb the blade open like a 'regular' knife or press the 'magic button'. ;) :smokin

It will work as a manual or auto......... :)

gfhoward
10-20-2004, 09:29 AM
OK, I thought it might have meant that the button will close it as well as open it. Thanks

swingshot
10-21-2004, 03:30 PM
OK, I thought it might have meant that the button will close it as well as open it. Thanks

Close. I think you're reffering to a D/A OTF (Out The Front)

Hawaiian
10-21-2004, 10:25 PM
I have a few of each. While I really like a nice custom bali, I guess I just got the Kerthwack of the auto in my blood. They are my first love. In knives that is.

ExamonLyf
10-21-2004, 10:55 PM
Sort of a common misunderstanding George. When I refer to the "Out-The-Front" Double Action autos, I simply use the term "In-and-Out".., to distinguish the difference between the OTF version of automatic knife, and the "Sidewinder" type (i.e., like any folder, but spring driven).

The UT's, Scarob, etc. (Microtech), are good examples of "In-and-Outs", and they are double action autos.

For side opening autos, there are tons of variations, and I've also seen and fired a few Triple Action autos... :).., with some very "trick" stuff included.

As Dudley mentions, D/A auto has it roots in offering the user auto or manual opening, and the auto mechanism can take several forms. Scale release, exposed button, hidden button, bolster release, etc.

Some very slick engineering!

One you have most likely seen a bit that was/is very popular, is the MT LCC D/A.., which is a bolster release opened by sliding the thumb-side bolster upward. The newer Terzuola, and MX-Something-or-Other also operate the is way.