View Full Version : Heat treating D2

titaniumdoctor
09-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Anyone care to answer saome Q's on hardening D2?? I have a piece and thought about putting the damascus on the backburner for now. I've never used it before. I need some hardening temps. and quenching techniques. I know it's air hardening but don't know how.

Thanks Again, TiDoc.

RJ Martin
09-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Don't know if you have an oven or forge, but, here's the poop on D2:

Preheat to 1400/1450, soak 5-10 minutes. Ramp to 1850, soak 30 minutes min, 40 minutes for 1/4" thick stock, then quench in warm oil, air quench or press quench.

If you HT in a foil pouch, leave the blade in the pouch is you press quench. Your as-quenched hardness should be about Rc62/63.

temper twice at 500F for 2 hours, aim hardness is Rc60, which provides maximum toughness for D2.

If you're going to cryo treat, do so after the first temper, and, temper 2x afterwards, for maximum properties.Good Luck,

shgeo
09-30-2004, 10:36 AM
I use D2 quite a bit and agree with the post above. I would add a little here, though. I use Bohler/Uddeholm Steel's heat treat specs (see BUCORP website, cold work steels, D2 datasheets) and they give a hardening range from 1810?F to 1920?F. I prefer ~1870?F with a 40 minute soak, and mostly quench in oil. For larger and thin blades, I air quench as the oil may warp them. I use Turco from K&G supply to coat the blades.

Uddeholm reccommends a sub-zero freeze treatment at dry ice temperatures and I usually harden in the evening and treat on dry ice overnight, then temper three times starting the next morning. I like the three tempers (two hours each at 400?F) because the D2 is a high alloy that retains about 14% Austenite and the extra tempering may help with that last bit of conversion.