View Full Version : First show!!

Little Hen Knives
03-20-2001, 11:51 PM
well folks,I think I`m just about ready for my first show this weekend in Kamloops B.C,I hope it goes good!...I`m startin to get a bit excited!

Geno
03-21-2001, 08:09 AM
I don't remember my first show,but I remember the anxiety beforehand.Is lt a gun show or a knife show?I know you'll have a lot of fun.
Now,Go polish them pretty and tell us all about it when you get back. (ROUND ONE)
Ding-ding!!!

viper5192
03-21-2001, 09:45 AM
Ron, your work has improved in leaps and bounds, all you needed was encouragement! Now play nice with the customers ;-) let them handle your work, and BE PATIENT ;-) Make sure you have a few polishing clothes with you, and DON'T freak when someone comes along and puts a BIG greasy print on your blade(s). It will happen. Just smile, curse on the inside, and pull out your polishing rag, and get that fingerprint off soon as you can.

Part of the key to success is how you interface with the buyers(lookers). You must show them you love your work, and want them to know all about it. You will get some very astute questions, then again you will get questions that will make you wince. You will find it is a very different thing to be behind the table, instead of in front. You will have fun! Don't get discouraged if they don't just fly off your table. It takes a while to get known at the shows. Not bunches of folks take a chance on new makers, but if your work is good, you should sell some things.

A good show is one where you recoup your table fees and the cost of getting there and back and food and lodging. You will be doing very good indeed if you can at least do that. But if you don't, don't be discouraged. All the biggies went through the same thing at one time or other!

All in all it will be an education. Enjoy Ron and DO let us know how ya did!

Roger Gregory
03-21-2001, 06:02 PM
Ron, I hope your first show is a great success. Not so good that you can forget those of us on the Right Side of the Pond but good nevertheless :)

Take a few of those hides and furs along and label them as "Defaulting Customer #1" etc that'll keep 'em all honest!

Roger