View Full Version : ASM Heat treat books

Gary Hamilton
08-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Alright smart people, ASM has some clearance books on heat treating on thier site. Are any of them of value for knife information?

Thanks,
Gary

Ed Caffrey
08-26-2004, 09:26 AM
I think that in general any heat treating book is good reference material, as long as they are used as a basis. Often times in the past I have spoken about my distaste for them, but if your just getting started, and are looking for the basics, I believe they can be very helpful. Where I part from that line of thinking is when someone takes the text as absolute. Just about every heat treating book/manual I have read uses a 1" cross section to base their data on. If you treat a knife blade (generally not more than 5/16" cross section at most) you will experience less than favorable results. So what am I saying? Use the books as a guide to learn the base lines for various alloys. Once you understand the processes, you'll be able to make corrections of time and temp for the given cross sections that you are heat treating.

Quenchcrack
08-26-2004, 12:51 PM
I guess I have to second Ed's comments. I own most of the ASM Handbooks but rarely do I find in them exactly the answer to any question I may have. Like Ed said, they can only give you basic, standardized data. It is up to you to figure out how to use it correctly. I have found the Handbooks to be heavy into industrial equipment and processes that are probably not what the small shop or hobbiest would find useful. Even in an industrial application I have found that they provided me with all the information I already knew but left out the part that stumped me. The books are written by committees made up of many professional members and they are usually not too generous with printing proprietary data that may give their company an advantage. At the price of the books, I would probably tell you to post questions on this board and get most of them answered for free! :D

Gary Hamilton
08-26-2004, 07:00 PM
I should have given the link with the message above. Thanks for the comments, since some of the HT books were in the $25 range I thought it might be worth the money. I am looking for 1 cheap book that have the answers to all my questions, even the ones I don't know that I should be asking. Since that book probably does not exist, I am looking for basics. Something to help me understand what is happening when you heat the metal or how is adding 0.1% of some material changes everything.

http://www.asminternational.org/Template.cfm?Section=ClearanceProducts&Template=/ecommerce/Category.cfm&category=12

Quenchcrack
08-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Gary,
I would not mess with any of the books marked "Proceedings" as they are collections of papers presented at conferences. Some are helpful, most are obscure and of little value. I have presented papers at conferences (presenters get NOTHING for doing this) and then found my paper bound in a "Proceedings" book which was being sold for $150! Go to Amazon and check out the available USED books on Heat Treating or Metallurgy. There are some bargains to be had there. If you have a question about a specific book, ask here about it. :D