View Full Version : Any Ideas ? (possible Damascus)

SKIVIE
08-23-2004, 11:01 PM
OK, heres the deal. I work for a large printer and today the Folder operator was about ready to throw these perforators and slitter away.......Im like STOP !

Now that ive got them and have the ability to get more.......what to do next.

Any ideas for possible Damascus and How would you go about doing it.

Your help and thoughts are much appreciated. Im actually just trying to figure out how I would use it in trying to get some damascus out of it. Kind of an odd ball shape.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/143938/PICT0123.jpg

Shane

metalking00
08-23-2004, 11:07 PM
is it good metal?

AwP
08-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Maybe if you cut them in thirds and welded them in a curved shape, then use that like a preform for your bevel recurve effect?

VSMBlades
08-24-2004, 07:15 AM
I would first try to heat each to critical and quench to finhd out which ones are the hard stuff then cuty them in half and stack. Probably just a couple high in the first one like 4 or 5 then I would draw it out and cut it and stack it. as you are building your layer count you can forge into a useable shape. At least I think it will work that way.

DiamondG Knives
08-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Shane;
I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

1.)Are they carbon steel?
2.)Do you know the alloy?
3.)How hard are you willing to pound them???? :D

If they are carbon, Id think cutting them in half then stacking them tack weld, add a handle, then try to forge weld them and see what happens.

If not, Bring em to Bowiews and we will try and make a can out of them!!

Good Luck!

God Bless
Mike

schwarzer
08-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Be careful using materials that you are not sure of. Most stainless is very hot hard and difficult to forge. It welds easy enough but it dosne t forge well causing a lot of shearing in the weld lines. If you can find out what the material is then give it a try. If you are guessing you add total imponderability to the project. Even if you get a good result you will not be able to repeat it when your supply runs out. If you are just playing disreguard this warning . If you want to build a quality product that is repeatable dont use unknown materials no matter how cheap they are. Sure wish I could spell oh well I think you get the idea.

schwarzer
08-24-2004, 04:41 PM
if you want cool shapes to put in can find some one with and EDM shop . They have to know exactly what the material is they are cutting . They also produce some really cool shapes. Small angle iron and gear rods make great shapes as well . The ends of spline shafts are alos great and they are almost always 4140 or somthing close. It wont get hard but it gets real tough. Uded with a center core you can use almost any material in a sanmi blade