View Full Version : MICARTA ???

Mike Conner
03-23-2001, 09:02 AM
Well I haven't used it too much so I have a question for those that are in the know.
Is there any visible difference between canvas and linen Mircata. I have got a large block of Micarta that I found at a flea market and I don't know which it is. It is some Military Surplus stuff that was used for insulators. Thought I could use it for some of my utility knives, not fancy but tough.
Any info will be appreciated.
Mike

dogman
03-23-2001, 11:45 AM
Mike.
The difference is just as the description says. Linen micarta is made using layers of linen and resin. Canvas micarta is made using layers of canvas and resin. The canvas micarta will be much more textures that the linen. The linin with display batter contour lines as you sand into it.

It makes great handle material. Easy to work...durable in all weather and working conditions. Make sure you use a respirator when you work it.

What is the color? Can you take a pic or scan?

Don Cowles
03-23-2001, 12:25 PM
One thing to beware of with "found" micarta. I have some gray stuff that was given to me- it is neither linen nor canvas, but fiberglas. Made sparks fly on the bandsaw, and ruined the blade right quick. I use that for shim material- not knife handles.

Mike Conner
03-23-2001, 01:29 PM
I can see a checkered pattern in the material, it is either canvas or linen. From the side of the block it actually looks sort of like wood grain, layers of tans and light browns, but the face sides are a burgandy color.
Mike

dogman
03-23-2001, 02:02 PM
You will find burlap micarta left over from industrial purposes. A friend has some that was used to line the fins inside a cement truck. It polishes out nice and has a very deep 3D look when you use it on a knife. I hope to have some on a knife soon.

Also, more rare of a find since it is not made anymore, is rag micarta. Multicolored and you can definitely see the rag particles in the material.

Mike Conner
03-23-2001, 09:07 PM
I'll try to get a close up picture and post it. It is definitely multi-layered. I was wondering if it could be rag Micarta, it is some old surplus stuff but since I have never seen any in the block form I really don't know.
Guess I'll have to cut some of it and see what comes out when it is shaped and polished.
Mike

Don Cowles
03-23-2001, 09:15 PM
Mike, if you can cut it and it stinks like phenolic, it will make good knife handles. Go for it!

runningdogknife
03-25-2001, 01:42 PM
I've got some of that micarta...I call is "honey" micarta...Starts out kind of yellow but mellows to a rich brown after awhile...

You will like it...

Michael
Running Dog

CKDadmin
03-25-2001, 04:02 PM
Michael,

Welcome to the CKD. Hang with us and enjoy yourself here!

There's nothing we like better than a man who comes in with an answer! Welcome Aboard! :)

Alex