View Full Version : Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)

08-16-2004, 06:38 AM

Over a year ago I started my knife-related busines 'SBC Enterprises'. I used this name as an umbrella for whatever may come my way involved in knives: Making, photography, buying/selling, etc.

I was able to fill out some form online and apply for an EIN, which, I remember completed within a month or less.

Then I went to my hometown Town Offices and did the name registration thing, etc.

My question: Since I applied and was accepted, I moved my home, and I can't believe I would lose this info, but I have lost track of my EIN number. Now I need it for various forms. I just can't locate any old emails or paperwork.

I tried doing a google search, but came up with dead ends. The Town Offices have no record. Any ideas on where to find this out?



08-16-2004, 06:48 AM
Well, I did the Google thing and answered my own question. I NEVER got an EIN! Here's why:

Is an employer ID number the same as a tax ID number?

Yes, an employer identification number, or EIN, is also known as a taxpayer identification number, or TIN. A sole proprietorship that has no employees and files no excise or pension tax returns is the only business that does not need an employer identification number. In this instance, the sole proprietor uses his or her social security number as the taxpayer identification number.


Publication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business
Publication 1635 (PDF), Understanding Your EIN

As a sole proprietor, do I need an employer identification number (EIN)?

As a sole proprietor, you would need to obtain an identification number if either of the following apply: (1) you pay wages to one or more employees, or (2) you file pension or excise tax returns. If these conditions do not apply, your social security number is your taxpayer identification number.

Ok. Just checking!