View Full Version : Come spend some time with us.

primos
04-10-2001, 01:53 PM
I received my registration form and schedule today for the Spring 2001 Hammer-In co-sponsored by Texarkana College and the American Bladesmith Society. The Hammer-In's are conducted at the Bill Moran School of Bladesmithing in Washington, Arkansas (4 miles from Hope, Arkansas).

I would really like to generate some interest in attendance for CKD members. I realize that this is not feasible for everyone, but there are always people attending from Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, and Alabama. Frequently folks come in from farther away like Arizona, New Mexico, Maryland, and Kentucky. A couple of years ago I met some makers there that came in from England, France, and South Africa.

Last Fall I announced the Hammer-In hoping to see some of you guys there. The only other CKD Forum member I met there was Bruce Evans.

You do not have to be a member of the ABS to attend these things, and no one will try to make you join. You do not have to forge blades. The concepts of functional design, balance, flow, and fit and finish apply to us all. In fact, you don't have to be a knifemaker. An interest in knives is all that's required. Often collectors come to watch. They probably want to see how Harvey Dean makes that $5000 D-Guard Bowie they're going to buy, or pick up a couple of knives from unknowns like me.

Anyway, here's to rundown. The Hammer-In is May 5th and 6th. Here is the schedule:

<li>John Fitch: Caustic Hot Blue</li>
<li>Charlie Smale: Blacksmith Techniques</li>
<li>Bill Moran: Silver Inlay</li>
<li>Kenny Rowe: Leather Work</li>
<li>Tim Foster: Mosaic Damascus</li>
<li>Joe Fluornoy: Soldering</li>
<li>Jim Crowell: Forging by Hand & with Trip Hammer</li>
<li>Clyde Fischer: One Arm Knives</li>
<li>Mike Connor: Silver Throats and Tips</li>
<li>Harvey Dean: D-Guard Bowie Construction</li>
<li>Steve Dunn: Side Lock Folder, Trials & Troubles</li>
<li>B.R. Hughes & Jerry Fisk: Critique for JS and MS Requirements</li>
<li>Mike Williams & Jerry Fisk: Cutting Competition</li>

Uncle Al, the Knifemaker's Pal will be there with supplies for sale. He always has handle materials, belts, pin stock and bolts, hammers, tongs, nickel silver and brass, filing fixtures, books and videos. Often he will have mini-milling machines, lathes, and grinders. He's also in the past brought forges, a hydraulic press and a rebuilt trip hammer.

The cutting competition will be with 5" hunters (any style) and the total legth can not exceed 10-1/2". Standard safety requirements are at least one visible pin in the handle, and a thong hole with thong attached.

This will be Bill Moran's last time to teach at the school. On Saturday, May 5, 2001, there will be a banquet honoring Mr. Moran and his 60 years of knifemaking in the Banquet Room of the Western Sizzler Steakhouse in Hope. The cost of the meal and tribute will be $12 per person. Seating will begin at 6:00 p.m. and presentations by guest speakers start at 7:30 p.m.

For Motel Resrvations: ($ = relative cost)
--------------------------------------------
Best Western Inn - Hope, Arkansas (870)-777-9222 [$$$]
Super-Eight Motel - Hope, Arkansas (870)-777-8601 [$$]
Days Inn - Hope, Arkansas (870)-772-1904 [$$]
1914 School/Bunkhouse - Washington, Arkansas (870)-983-2684 [$]

Tuition:
---------------------------------------------
$115 (US). If mailing tuition, mail to:
Texarkana College / Continuing Education
ATTN: Scotty Hayes
2500 N. Robison Road
Texarkana, Texas 75599

If you don't get your tuition mailed in, come on anyway. I've never seen a walk-in turned away.

Jeff Jenness and I will be there representing the CKD, at the Best Western. We'll be looking for you.

viper5192
04-11-2001, 09:27 AM
Anyone want to sponser a hopeful up and coming knifemaker to this hammer-in? I'd love to attend! Tuition would be hard for me, as I am retired and on a fixed income. Just need someone who is willing to invest what it takes to get me there,(bus) tuition and lodging.

The investment would be paid back with interest. This will probably be the only way I'll ever get to a hammer-in and/or get a jumpstart on my skills to become a maker.

Thanks for looking.

Mike Conner
04-11-2001, 12:13 PM
Terry,
Thanks for posting this, I am going to try to be there, but guess that I wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't posted this. So far I have just been doing stock removal, but the lure of the forge has been working on me for some time. Just what I need, something HOT to work with during our Texas summers.
Hopefully I'll see you there.
Mike

primos
04-11-2001, 03:14 PM
Mike, let either me or Jeff Jenness know if you can make it for sure. We'll look out for you. H-m-m, come to think of it, I don't know what you look like. We'll work it out.

Also, many, many makers attend who don't forge blades. The seminars are suitable for any style. It doesn't matter if you hammer them, grind them, or gnaw them out with your teeth.

The methods for silver wire inlay, fitting and soldering guards, making sheaths, etc. is the same whether you make a hollow ground mirror polished stainless steel blade, or a forged and flat ground, hand-rubbed blade of carbon steel.

MIKE KOLLER
04-11-2001, 04:24 PM
Thanks Terry for posting this I am trying to make arrangements as I type this.I will definetly look you up if I can make it.Like Paul I have to work on the $$:)

Thanks again for the information!

Jason G Howell
04-11-2001, 08:10 PM
I'll be there. I'm looking forward to meeting some of y'all!

primos
04-11-2001, 08:20 PM
Jason,
I'm looking forward to meeting you. I've looked at your site and read your bio. I'm absolutely amazed at the level of skill you have achieved in such a short time. It makes me ashamed of how little I've progressed. I see big things in your future my friend.

You won't have any trouble spotting me. Look for the shortest little guy there, who looks like he couldn't swing a 2 pound hammer. :lol:

jeffj
04-12-2001, 07:37 PM
Hmmm....I haven't received my schedule yet. Oh, well.

I'll be there...it'll be my first, but Terry has promised to show me around. I guess I'm just lucky that I decided to go this year and see Moran's last Hammer-in. I don't make knives...yet.

Like Terry said, I'm staying at the Best Western. Come join us if you can.

Jeff Jenness

MaxTheKnife
04-12-2001, 10:19 PM
I'll be there. You can't miss me. I'll be the guy with the full beard and crewcut in overalls. I'm anxious to put faces to all these names I see and read about.

primos
04-12-2001, 10:51 PM
We'll be looking for you Max.

Jeff,
It's not exactly "the" schedule. It's a list of the classes and who's teaching them, etc. If you just mailed in your tuition and this is your first time, you won't get one. Once you're on they're mailing list, they'll send you a registration card with a list of classes attached, prior to future Hammer-Ins.

Anyway, you'll get the actual schedule with the times and locations of the classes on Saturday morning when you sign in. You'll also get a folder, notepad, and pen for taking notes. You'll also get a nice Hammer-In cap. I've got a closet full of them.

MIKE KOLLER
04-12-2001, 10:58 PM
Is there any kind of media coverage of these events?You know,to let other people know about what goes on at these events and promote the knife making craft/hobby/profession/and addiction. :D

jeffj
04-13-2001, 05:56 AM
Not really what you mean by media coverage, but I'll be there with camera in hand...I plan on writing it up and putting it on the web.

Jeff Jenness

MIKE KOLLER
04-13-2001, 04:56 PM
Local television,cable or anything like that.Really just wondering if it is allowed,I know a producer that might be interested if the time frame allowed.Just wondering how we may spark a new interest in knifemaking in general.

primos
04-13-2001, 05:52 PM
There has been coverage by the Wall Street Journal, and by a television show of some sort (sports related I think) in the past.

I'm sure this sort of thing must be set up and approved by the school liaison officer (Jerry Fisk), and/or the ABS Board of Directors well in advance. I would not want to be on a film crew that just "showed up", around a hundred country boys wearing Bowie knives. :lol:

People take pictures for their personal use all the time, and that's fine, but I'm certain that anything of a commercial nature would have to be approved.

MIKE KOLLER
04-13-2001, 08:30 PM
I was just wondering , maybe next year, huh.

raker1
04-15-2001, 10:50 PM
Terry, I thought that the overall length of the knife was to be no more than 10 1/2 inches. I left the paper at school so I will look again when I get to work tomorrow.
This should be a fantastic hammer-in. Besides the cutting contest, the banquet in honor of Bill Moran would be worth the trip. A better person than Bill is hard to find. It would be great to meet as many people as possible there.

Ray Kirk dba Raker Knives

primos
04-16-2001, 09:24 AM
Ray,
Thanks for catching that. You are absolutely correct. The maximum overall length is 10-1/2" for the hunters in the cutting competition. I've edited the post and fixed the error.

Thanks again. We'll see you there.

MIKE KOLLER
04-22-2001, 10:41 PM
Well the wife has decided since I have put up with her brother for a month that I deserve a little retreat.:D

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Mike K