View Full Version : Who has their nose to the grindstone for Blade?

dogman
04-26-2001, 09:02 AM
I have satin finished my fingers to the nub. I have 9 knives in various states of assembly and 3-4 more I haven't even started on yet.

Luckily, my bigger blades are in this current working batch, so some of the actual tedium work, like satin finishing, is getting knocked out of the way.

I am trying to keep a bit more of an assembly line metality to streamline things. I did all my tang tapering at one time, I am just about done with satin finishing, then I will bang the bolsters on all the blades next. I am waiting for folder blades to come back from heat treat, so they are on the back burner until next week. I am doing all my sheath knives first, so I can get them to my leather guy, who will be swamped with everyone else's Blade Show knives. Knives with Concealex sheaths and folders I can work on until the last minute, since they don't have to go anywhere else.

I have all my handle material selected for all the knives and I have them lines up on the bench, like little soldiers ready for action.

All in all, though, I think I will be able to make everything I set out to make.

Don Cowles
04-26-2001, 09:34 AM
I'm in the same boat, Bob, but will consider myself lucky if I can field ten knives for display. I guess it's good to sell 'em faster than you can make 'em, but it is very frustrating at a time like this when you need something to put on the table.

Don Cowles
04-26-2001, 11:21 AM
...and speaking of getting ready for shows, I have made myself a checklist of stuff to take to them, which I would be happy to post here if there is any interest. I am inclined to forget things (chamois, business cards, thermos, and so on), so it has proved to be very helpful to me. I'd also be glad to see if any of you take things that I don't- always willing to add to my list of essentials.

:rolleyes:

dogman
04-26-2001, 11:58 AM
Don, start a new thread called Show Essentials, and we will let everyone add their stuff, then I will make it part of the tutorial information:)

Les Robertson
04-26-2001, 08:09 PM
Hey Dog,

My nose isn't to the grind stone (you should really look into a grinder with a motor and try and keep your nose off the stone).

Any way, my finger tips sure a sore for dialing that phone hunting for knives I can have in 6 weeks.

You makers sure do have it easy. Just walk out to the shop and make some knives.

Of course speed dial does help a little, but no getting away from the viciousness of a key board!

dogman
04-26-2001, 08:34 PM
Les, if you get that voice responsive software, you will be living the life of riley:)

DC KNIVES
04-26-2001, 08:50 PM
Hi Dogman,my wife has to be the most organized person around,she has a checklist for everything.When we go to a show,everything is packed and ready to go way before my knives are ready.She makes the other side of knifemaking so much easier.I'm sure she could have a few pointers.Dave

Les Robetson
04-28-2001, 07:39 AM
Hey Dog,

Actually, I have that for my computer. I just got a new computer so I will have to start all over again with it.

Takes about 3-4 weeks to get the program where it recoginzes your voice on 99% of the words. You will always be a building profession unique dictonary.

Ive got Net2Phone on the computer. Just havent had time to play with it yet.

Next year I anticpate having the need for a Palm VII with internal modem. Actually, I could use it now, Im just waiting for the cost to come down on the "air" time.

Now I just need Palm to come out with voice activated software for their PDA's.

Ah Technology....you gotta love it.