View Full Version : Hellooo + Duel question

Kleyman97
07-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Hello.
--------------------------------------

Whew, now that that part is over and done with, let's get to part #2:

The Duel Question (Patent Pending)

A. Does it cost extra to make a custom design/collaboration with Dobruski, Korth, etc. as seen in the A1, S1, etc.?

B. How much did those cost?

-Ilya

ExamonLyf
07-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Hey Kleyman :)...welcome.

I'm not sure I understand your questions totally.., but let me take a crack at it.

In a general sense.., if you order something out of the ordinary from a custom maker.., yes.., it's going to cost more, and how much depends on exactly what you want for inlays.., varying profiles.., etc

The examples you mentioned..., are quite different if you are talking about the knives I think you mean. The "A1"...., which I'm assuming is the exclusive run of knives Mauricio Dobruski is making for EDC knives, is a package deal Duane worked out with Mr. Dobruski, where he purchases the knives and resells them.

Duane Weikum is one of the Moderators on here (and owner of EDC Knives), and you can talk to him about that one, but I'm almost sure they are all sold. That design is the "Alpha".., and there will be more to follow; generally runs of 10-12 knives varying in design. The next model will be differently named and numbered.

The "S1".., was designed by Felix Sheng (another Moderator here).., and Felix set the price according to what it needed to be to make his efforts worth while. The S1.., did cost a bit more than an average Dobruski model would be, but it's also quite a bit different, and very innovative. Felix has done a number of terrific designs in collaboration with several makers, and I'll post pictures of them all soon.

I've got both models you mentioned, and they will both be reviewed by our moderation team in the near future.

As far as pricing goes.., I'm not sure what you are asking???? If you are considering doing a true "collaboration" with a custom knife maker, then you need to contact the knife maker.., with your design, and get a quote on doing the work.

Duane.., is a "Dealer".., and exclusively distributes Balisongs for Mauricio Dobruski, Korth, and Flavio Ikoma (among many others). Felix.., designs Balisongs, and gets his price quotes based on how many are made, then determines a price where he's not a "Missionary"... :)

If you are just talking about coming up with a design for a knife you want for you.., that is much different than what the two men I just mentioned do, so it's hard to give you a good answer. They are having -RUNS- of a certain design made, and this is being done for resale.

I hope that helps a little, but none of the Moderation Team here (or anywhere), can give you a price quote for any given knife maker. You would have to deal with them directly if you have something specific in mind for your own collection. It's simply not fair for us to -guess- at what the price might be given we are not the folks making the knives.

As I mentioned in the beginning, it's safe to say if you have something original in mind, and you are buying (1) knife for yourself, it's going to cost more than a standard model that any maker normally has for sale.

If I'm off base on what you are asking.., run it by us again, and we'll give it another shot.. :)

Dawkind
07-17-2004, 12:58 AM
I think the "generally runs of 10-12 knives " kind of covers the difference in cost between the price of buying one knife and buying a 'run' of knives.........

I would expect a 20% margin if I were to invest in 10-12 pieces in the $500+ price range, IMO. :cool:

ExamonLyf
07-17-2004, 11:12 AM
I think the "generally runs of 10-12 knives " kind of covers the difference in cost between the price of buying one knife and buying a 'run' of knives.........

Yeah Dudley, but you forgot they'd add on at least 5% to your cost for ordering all #007's.... 8o

tonyccw
07-17-2004, 01:44 PM
The Duel Question (Patent Pending)

A. Does it cost extra to make a custom design/collaboration with Dobruski, Korth, etc. as seen in the A1, S1, etc.?

B. How much did those cost?

-IlyaThe Riposte Response (Trademarked)
1) No. It cost whatever the maker feels is appropriate to make your design.
2) About the same as most customs from those makers. From $300 to $600.

But Pete's answer is the better one.

However, one caveat never mentioned, but should be, is that these balis are restricted sales items, and most makers will only deal with customers that are of legal age. If not, then they would prefer to deal with the customer's guardian to avoid any legal ramifications.