View Full Version : Grinding mill scale

rhrocker
07-09-2004, 01:53 PM
I hate grinding mill scale off of steel, but it seems to be part of the routine. I dare Not do it, and when actually grinding, I find the worst part to be clamping the pieces in a vise, picking up the 4.5 grinder, then flipping it over. How do you guys do it? Belt sander? I had an idea, but not sure that it's very cost effective: Find and buy a el cheapo magnetic clamp (HF, etc), and clamp several pieces on it at one time, grind, flip and repeat. The magnetic vise would end up getting gouged now and then, but if I get one, it'll be for this purpose only. Also, I'd fix it at a good working heigth for my aching back, and tired arms.

Larrin
07-09-2004, 02:03 PM
You can just use "C" clamps and clamp it to the table, I don't know if that would be easier than the vice.

Don Halter
07-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Long soak in vinegar or short soak in HCl/muratic acid will remove oxide/scale, then just grind as normal. Clean off any oils/grease first. A couple bucks worth of vinegar go a long way. Other than smelling like pickles outside my shop door, it saves a lot of wear and tear...not to mention cost...in grinding pads/belts.

Drac
07-09-2004, 05:55 PM
The best overall knife grinder has to be a 2x72, but when it comes to removing scale or truing up, I've used both a 4x36 and a surface grinder. The surface grinder (visiting another maker's shop) is the better easier of the two, but the cheapest I've seen one w/o the chuck is Grizzly?s at about $1200. A good magnet and a 4x36 is a good cheap alternative for de-scaling, but watch out for the knuckles.

Jim

Craig B.
07-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Get one of the blade grinding magnets from the different suppliers catalogs and try it on the flat platen of your 2x72 grinder. Ain't precision but it works for grinder scale.

schwarzer
07-11-2004, 07:14 PM
removing fire scale by pickling is a good idea you can also hook up a corse wire wheel on a large slow speed motor and hot brush the steel with great results if you are in a hurry to fold and reweld Dont forget your eye protection