View Full Version : Advertising in magazines...

cajun bones
07-06-2001, 07:46 PM
I'd like to know how knifemakers have gone about submitting ads to magazines in the past. I ask this after having heard that design and production costs are too much for some makers to handle in addition to what the ad costs to run. I hate to think that certain tallent out there isn't able to obtain notoriety simply because of a lack of funds. What has been your past experience?

Chris

Dexter Ewing
07-06-2001, 08:43 PM
Chris - if you look in the masthead of a magazine, you'll likely see phone and fax numbers for their advertising department, along with a listing of names of folks who handle ad sales for that particular magazine. I'm not sure who is in ad sales at Knives Illustrated (the guy who I know has since left the magazine), but for Blade it's either Missy Beyer or Tracy Wierzba. I think Blade has some advertiser info on their site at www.blademag.com (http://www.blademag.com)

If you talk with these folks, you can find out current ad rates, ad size, etc.

Hope this helps.

dogman
07-06-2001, 10:25 PM
Knives Illustrated has a Website Ads section where you can pay $50 for your web link to be posted for a year. It is an inexpensive way to start. Also, send pictures into the magazines. If they use one, they usually offer you a discount on advertising. Also, if you do shows, consider getting an ad in so it hits the streets right before the show. Just a few ways you can maximize you dollar.

Don Cowles
07-07-2001, 05:35 AM
Since you own (or have access to) a computer, you can also do your own ad design and layout. That will save you money.

Advertising still costs, however. You have to decide if you want your knifemaking to be a hobby or a career; if the latter, you will have to put both time and money into it.

george tichbourne
07-07-2001, 07:47 AM
Sometimes advertising can be very frustrating if you do not do your own ad layout. I used to have KI do changes for me and the errors were in almost every issue. Another time I had an agency prepare and place ads for me, after approving proofs the ad appeared in a magazine with a large dot or blemish right on the photo, nothing I could do about it and no apologies forthcoming from the agency. When I got the photo back from the agency it had a large rasberry seed and some jam stuck to it where the spot was on the photo, it didn't leave here with that on it, fired that agency then and there.

Now I do a rough layout on the computer and take it to a professional who does the finished proof, makes a photo neg, and pulls a proof from the neg. I then send the neg to the magazine with a copy of the proof with instructions to make sure that the ad appears in the magazine as it appears on the proof. Sure it is more expensive but if you are serious about this being a business get serious.

J Loose
07-07-2001, 12:43 PM
I also do my own ads for Knives Illustrated. If I do my own layout and send it in it costs me $153.00 per issue. Unfortunately, if you do your own ads it can be just as frustrating...

The contact man at Knives Illustrated, Frank Holguin, is a great guy- very friendly and helpful. Their printers are not. HUGE disconnect. They messed up some of my first ads and couldn't fix a -VERY- simple file format issue in Photoshop. I was kind of shocked they couldn't get the issue straight... ( just go in and save it as a CMYK, guys... not that difficult! ) Also every time I had to send in a new file for them they kept my Zip disk even though I sent postage paid return envelopes. Basically every time you send in a new ad they keep yer disk. Must make a fortune. Grr.

But I have definitely gotten business from the ads... so grin and bear it...

Don't know about Blade but I recall the cost was just beyond my means... so in about six months I figure I can advertise there too... ( x-fingers...)

Dexter Ewing
07-07-2001, 08:21 PM
Jonathan - I'm sorry to inform you that Frank is no longer with KI. He left a few months back. I knew Frank too and yes, he was a great guy. Even though I had nothing to do with ads at KI, I still enjoyed ringing him up and visitng with him when I ran into him at the Blade Show or SHOT show.

J Loose
07-08-2001, 06:40 PM
Dexter,

Thanks for the info - it's too bad he left. Seemed like he really wanted to help out a new guy. Hope they remember to give me my discounted rate next year... :rolleyes: