View Full Version : Minimum required tools

SVanderkolff
07-04-2004, 11:34 AM
I am at least a year away from being able to try to make some damascus, probably closer to two, but I am curious what would be needed as a minimum to make a small quantity of hardenable damascus. My shop will be in my basement so that will severely restrict things.
Thanks in advance.
Steve

millironknives
07-04-2004, 12:39 PM
If your talking the bare bare minimum I would say a hammer, anvil,bench vise, mini forge and a ventalation unit over your forging area. And then get some 3/4 or 1 inch cable and make some cable damascus.

Bob Warner
07-04-2004, 05:22 PM
If you can forge now, you have everything you need except flux. If you are not forging now, I agree with Kevin but I would not even include the bench vise in my list.

You can make more than cable damascus also. If you can make cable damascus, you are prepared for pattern welding also.

Jack OBrien
07-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Hi Bunch
Jusdt found my way into here again Teach me a lesson not to be afraid of the computer ( ####ed infernal machine that it is )
Anyhow back to the question
A mate of mine dropped a reel of 3/4 to 1 inch cable off at the blacksamith shop a few months back and I have let all the other guys there avail themselves of it and they are turning out cable dmamscuss suitable for mini blades and jewelery I find that the most useful size for blades is from about 1 1/4 inch and up.
I was lulled into usinbg borax as a flux for cable but have since gone back to basic sand as it doesnt produce as much c,linker in the forge.
Incidently if you are a newbie at using cabl;e make sure you get the black steel cable and not the galvanised as the black steel is easier and not as dangerous. I find that most of the cable that is usefull is loaded to the gunalls with heavy grease there fore it is uncoated. Soak it in kero and then strip and clean each larger strand before putting it back togethjer again.and you should have no drama. anyhow just thought i would chuck in my thoughts

Jack

Jack OBrien
07-16-2004, 07:51 AM
a bit more info

The other night when I posted i was dog tired and forsot a few things with the cable

The smaller stuff i got had a fibre core that after it was burned out left a hell of an air space That is why it forged down so small . Also when I was showing how to forge it down i did use a small vice to tighten the twist and remove the air space.

Make sure if you are using cable with a fibre core you dont surprise your self as the core burns out and leave a hell of a vent open straight from the forge to your hand.
A situation like that can produce some fancy footwork :lol

Jack