View Full Version : question for custom dealers, any that you hate to part with?

Dennis Bible
08-04-2001, 10:34 AM
I recently have begun to sell some custom knives. There are a few that have come in that I want to keep so bad I can't stand it. The Mike Obenauf's for one. I am really going to hate to see them go. I was going to keep them, but decided it would make better business sense to let them go. I sometimes secretly hope they don't sell so I can keep them. :evil:

On the bright side I get to handle a lot of great knives that I otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Any knives you have had that you hate to let go?

viper5192
08-04-2001, 10:50 AM
Yes actually ALL of them! No to be fair, got a JW Smith that nearly knilled me to let go and right now I have a very nice D'Holder that will be like losing a limb when it sells.

That is a big downfall for a dealer/collector. A good dealer has to have a collector's eye to get the good/right knives, but once you have the collector's eye/jones it becomes hard to let them go :(

Les, how do you cope (besides buying what you like)?

Les Robertson
08-06-2001, 08:34 AM
Hi Paul,

I find when you a full time custom knife dealer it is fairly easy to sell the knives. Although, I will admit when I first started, my collection was used as my initial inventory. That was a little tougher.

One of the down sides to being a dealer is that you look at knives all the time. It used to be only at shows, now you can view them anytime on the internet. Then there are magazines, acution flyers, catalogs and books.

I know when I was at the Guild Show I thought to myself, how could someone come in here and just buy one or two? OK, the easy answer is, you only have enough money for one or two. But how would you pick?

I know for myself I only bought 15 knives at the show. There were a lot of knives that just did not interest me. So those are easy to eliminate, then there are those that are way overpriced for what they are and finally those that just have poor worksmanship.

However, there was a Damascus Dagger (I don't know who made it because the maker was never there nor did he/she have a card or sign on the table. Just this exceptional dagger under glass in a locked box.

After going back several times I realized this was not the knife for me. Obviously the maker had other things to do besides bother with us "pesky" customers. When I left on Sunday, the knfie was still there.....gee there's a surprise.

Sometimes a knife you want to put into a collection finds it's own way of not coming home with you.

There are particular makers who's work I actively look for, but because I do get to look at and handle so many knives, the knife has to have more than just a great fit and finish.

I find myself looking for a "story" that goes along with the knife.

Another side effect that comes with being a dealer is you are always wondering what is next from a particular maker or makers. So that can help you from wanting to hang on to some knives.

I have added 4 knives to my collection in the last two years. These are the LDC-4 (Brend) & LDC-5 (Herron) prototypes and a pair of serial numbered RAMBO II (Fighter and Dagger).

Earlier I wrote that my collection became my initial inventory. Now I buy most of my knives knowing they will be sold. So there is much less emotion put into these knives.