View Full Version : Belt Choice

Mondt
08-19-2001, 05:18 PM
I need some input on what belt type to go to. I have been doing a lot of hand work lately and have just noticed that I'm burning up my finer belts (220, 320, 400, 600) real fast, like every 2 blades. I would like to check on something more durable. I am using aluminum oxide in 2x72 and 6x48 belts, I'm paying $1.70 and $2.90 each, respectively.

What is the best route, 3M structured, ceramic or what?

I use the cork belts when going to a polished blade with ATS-34, 01 and such, but CPM10V and other CPM steels don't give in to the cork belts very well from my experience.

Thanks for the great input in advance!

MJHKNIVES
08-20-2001, 12:22 AM
I use at least one of every grit after roughing.I was using hermes RB346 AO belts 2x72 in 120,320,600,some grits I would use two of.I think the 3M trizac is a great belt,but dont have a lot of experience with it yet.For roughing,I use 3Ms #977 in 40 grit they last a looooooooooooonnnnngggg time.What you are experiencing in the finer grits is not unusual,in fact getting two blades out of them is more than a lot of makers care to try,myself included.

Don Cowles
08-20-2001, 04:58 AM
Doug, I have been using the Trizact belts for several years with great success. To underscore the point, I mean *the same* Trizact belts. I have never thrown one away. When they start to wear, I split them into narrower belts and use them for slack belt work.

At $5 a whack, they cost more than A/O or S/C belts, but I seem to remember talk of some supplier kidding about leasing them. They last and last, but they do not like water.

george tichbourne
08-20-2001, 05:56 AM
I will second that bit about Trizac not liking water. Wipe your blades dry after each time you dip them in the cooling bucket before you go back to the belt.

KandSKNIVES
08-20-2001, 06:15 AM
HEY DOUG, BEFORE I GOT SHUT DOWN, EYE SURGERY, I WAS SWITCHING OVER TO THE HEAVY BACK SCHROEDER BELTS. INSTEAD OF STARTING WITH 50-60 GRIT, ANNEALED STEEL, I START WITH 80-100 GRIT, UP TO 220 GRIT. I THEN USE THE TRIZACS UP TO 1200. I WAS ALSO GETTING GOOD BELT LIFE OUT OF THE CERAMICS, IN THE MEDIUM GRITS.
KEN (WWJD)

Mondt
08-20-2001, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys! I knew I could count on you for good input.

It seems more and more people want CPM10V so I'm trying get the best finishes I can for the best price I can. I'll have a couple of pics up this week of two going out to their new homes.