View Full Version : Lessons learned the hard way

Lloyd Hale
04-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Tips for young knife makers out there...........
Lessons I've learned the hard way in the shop...No.1. never slap at a mosquito on your arm while holding a box cutter blade.. No2 if you feel a sneeze coming on, step away from the high speed buffer or belt grinder...either one does bodily harm.... No.3 remove all used paper towels from the work bench when starting to silver solder or weld.... No. 4 never brush burning paper towels into waste paper basket beside work bench... No 5 and this is a must.... keep a good fire extinguisher close by.. more tips to follow...

Jamey Saunders
04-26-2004, 03:17 PM
So Lloyd...

How was your weekend?:D

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

SKIVIE
04-26-2004, 03:23 PM
:D Advice Taken, Thanks Lloyd.

:D Why do you ask Jamey ? lol.

Shane

rhrocker
04-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Very timely post Lloyd! I had my first titanium fire today. Wasn't much, just about 1/4" grit had collected on my tool rest. Was putting the final pass on a liner, beautiful white aparks a-flying, and it ignited the debre pile. Burns bright like an arc welder! Was a good lesson. So, I guess that's a "rite of passage" into the world of folders:cool: Yes, I have fire extinguishers nearby just in case.

Webster
04-26-2004, 07:39 PM
I feel your pain; I bought this great piece of Damascus last weekend at a Knife show in Louisville Kentucky. When I got home I pulled out my six-inch angle grinder and went to work. I couldn?t figure out where all the smoke was coming from. (I have a cloth apron, the kind you buy from Sears, and I had a small hole in it that was frayed). I still can't believe it, but I was on fire. I have a 1/2 gallon plastic container on my bench I use to cool my blades with, it?s a good thing because I'm sure I would of made a stop at the local hospital if not for that. My wife bought me a fire extinguisher the next day.

Bob Cannon

GHEzell
04-26-2004, 07:50 PM
When I got home I pulled out my six-inch angle grinder and went to work. I couldn?t figure out where all the smoke was coming from. (I have a cloth apron, the kind you buy from Sears, and I had a small hole in it that was frayed). I still can't believe it, but I was on fire.

Ouch....been there...nothing like the smell of burning chest hair....cept maybe the smell of burning antler.

Lloyd Hale
04-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Suddenly I'm not feeling so alone......

tom mayo
04-29-2004, 01:55 AM
when grinding titanium, have a BIG bucket of water close by!! :(

C L Wilkins
04-29-2004, 02:44 AM
Don't ever take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time.

Craig

TexasJack
04-29-2004, 01:52 PM
I would say #1 would be: Don't get married. I've done it twice and, although I did do a better job the second time around, it will only cut into your knifemaking (and fishing/hunting/sleeping/etc.) time.

I've been lucky with fire, though my ex-wife once set fire to her cat. It was pretty funny until the d****d thing ran under the couch (still burning).

I am missing part of my index finger from the night I found out that the tooth angle on Forrest blades makes them a bad choice for cutting a quickie dado. They cut bone very, very smoothly. The factory rep was not happy when I pointed that out at the last woodworking show.

Also, never, never grind or sand water buffalo horn in a closed area. It looks great on a knife, but the smell when you sand it is like 10,000 buffalo took a dump in the room. And it doesn't go away.

Steve
04-30-2004, 03:35 AM
I would say No. 1 is do get married. Best thing I've ever done!

Lloyd Hale
04-30-2004, 08:39 AM
Yes, I agree Steve... The best knives I ever made was made in the late 1970's before my drinking tore the marriage apart.. I envy you knifemakers with Life Partners... My work has lacked that Feminine input for 24 years and in my mind it shows....

markd
04-30-2004, 12:05 PM
I too have been bitten by the "blonde" bug. When grinding, never assume you don't need an apron for "small jobs". The burn on my stomach and the hole in my old fleece sweatshirt can attest. Fleece, by the way, melts as well as burns. Also, some wives MAY laugh, so be prepared.

Steve
04-30-2004, 12:24 PM
In my mind, your work is as good or better than ever, Lloyd!

Lloyd Hale
04-30-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm speaking openly here....without those early morning touches and talks about what lay in store for that day, it's a missing ingredient to the finished work..... Now it's- S.R Johnson's philosophical Forum for wayward knifemakers......ha.

Steve
04-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Just lie back, relax and let the feelings flow....lol!

We've just got to press on and take life one day at a time, don't we? We're constantly evolving in every way, learning as we go, having the faith that, in the end, we'll be where we are supposed to be, the best type of person we can be. It's lucky we have friends like you all to give us a little push, or a little lift, along the way.

Come to think of it, here's a quotethat seems quite pertinent:

"One day in retrospect the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful."
- Sigmund Freud

tom mayo
05-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Now dont be quotin that crackpot!!!!
Although I have to admit, often times in life, the things that look like the worst end up being the biggest blessing!
All things work for the good to those who love God..........

I think a great line was from RW when he was looking at Dentons table at a show and said something to the effect: "Thats a lot of years of mistakes right there!!!"