View Full Version : What a GREAT time!!!

mrsjoan
04-25-2004, 07:45 PM
John & I just returned from the April meeting of the NCCKG. What a great time!!! The entire meeting was geared around celebrating the 12th birthday of the Guild.

We elected our new slate of officers. Andrew McLurkin is our new President, Bill Pate is the VP, and Tony Kelly will serve again as treasurer. Andrew was there for Saturday only. He had an accident while he was practicing for the cutting demo. We wish him a speedy recovery.

Ed Halligan was our guest demonstrator for the weekend. He spent Saturday morning showing us how he does his handle carvings. It really was cool to see him take a hunk of material and in just a short time you could see an eagle begin to emerge.

As a special treat, the Guild Directors and Mr. & Mrs. Wayne Bernaurer put together a really nice picnic/pig pickin for Saturday night supper on Lake Hillary. The scenery and the lodge was just wonderful. The surroundings were so peaceful that the excitement of the trip and the day caught up with John & myself.
http://www.poythresscustomknives.com/images/GaGuild/DSCN1953.jpg

Mr. Halligan was with us again Sunday morning and gave us all a chance to try our hand at scrimshaw.
http://www.poythresscustomknives.com/images/GaGuild/scrim1.jpg
You won't find a better instructor than Mr. Halligan. He was very helpful, patient and encouraging for those of us who were less than talented.
http://www.poythresscustomknives.com/images/GaGuild/Scrim.gif
There are many talented folks in the NCCKG (excluding me and Yes, it is an elephant!!!)).

John & I enjoyed getting to know Mr. & Mrs. Halligan. He kept us entertained with stories from his life (past & present). What I found very interesting about him was his avid interest and participation in bike riding. He participates in the ride at Claxton Georgia which requires riding about 100 miles. I'm not sure I've ridden a bike 100 miles in my life much less in a weekend!!. Way to go Mr. Ed.

The next meeting will be in July in Virginia at the home of Norm & Marge Gervais. Make plans to attend now for a good time.

John & Joan Poythress

Andrew McLurkin
04-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks Joan for the nice overview. I really would have liked to have been there for Sunday as well. Scrimshaw is something I want to learn at some point. Ed's carving demo was first rate. It can get misleading watching how easy he makes it look. It was good of him to bring pictures and examples of things he has carved over the years. Thanks ED!!!

Joan is that an elephant head you did or did you work off the picture of John sleeping in the chair? :D

Phillip Jones
04-26-2004, 04:18 PM
You are absolutely right when you say it was a great time.

I've never been to a meeting that wasn't.
Good friends...good food...good times!!!

Hey Andrew,
Glad to see that you haven't lost the ability to type single-handed.
Hope the loss of the two digits doesn't hurt your knifemaking. Heal up soon!

Otha
04-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Hes had a lot of pratice. Sorry we couldnt stay longer. i was a blast and as always great to see everyone.

Tommy