View Full Version : Raffle/Auction Bowie update

Barry Jones
03-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Today I had the great pleasure of doing the flat grind on a 10" Bowie knife blade that will be raffled/auctioned (which is it?) at the 10th SouthEastern Custom Knife Show this fall. The damascus steel was made by ABS MasterSmith Ron Newton. It was my first time grinding a blade made of carbon steel damascus (I've used stainless before). I am not ashamed to say that I was a bit nervous about grinding the blade. Hey, Nobody wants to mess up something that Ron Newton sweated over.

Well, I didn't screw it up. Everything went very well. The blade will be shipped to Wayne Whitley tomorrow so he can heat treat it and etch it. After that the final touches will be done and the whole knife assembled.

I can't wait to see the finished piece. The steel alone has had me drooling.

Andrew McLurkin
03-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the update Barry!

I can relate to the not wanting to screw it up feeling. I had visions of my surface grinder or mill grabing a hold of the blade and eating a chunk out.

I'm glad the the grind turned out nice. I'm also looking forward to seeing it assembled. I think we've done real good with our time frame. Do you know if the handle made it safely to to Jesse Houser?

Barry Jones
03-24-2004, 10:10 PM
I had the same kind of visions, Andrew. They were the main reason I took my time with the grind.

I have no idea about the handle making it to Jesse. I can't wait to see what he does with it though. Should be nice.

I talked to Wayne on the phone this evening to let him know that the blade is on it's way to him. He sounded like he is looking forward to working on the piece. It won't be much longer before the piece will be finished.