View Full Version : Has anyone ever worked something like 1540?

BrB
02-20-2004, 11:27 AM
I was looking on cheap sources of steel around here and someone offered me really cheap 1540. I called the manufacturer and they assured me they have a bit more than .45% of carbon on those. I never worked with something under .60% (like 5160) so I wouldn't know if a decent knife can be made out of this. I don't know also about what other elements the 15XX series has that would affect the process. I wonder if I can use that to make japanese yari out of it... it's 1" round stock, but would a hamon show up?
I am asking all these questions because, even if it pretty cheap, I am offered to buy a very large amount of it (plenty for the next years)... and I didn't want to take a decision before I gather some info.

Thanks.

Danbo
02-20-2004, 12:03 PM
I think it would depend on what else is included in this alloy. If it's a fairly simple steel, you would probably end up with a very tough blade that didn't hold an edge that well. If, however, the alloy included a little chrome, some vanadium and other goodies, you could end up with a pretty good and tough blade.

BrB
02-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Just found out the only thing on it is Mn 1.35% to 1.65%

Just don't know how's that to bladesmithing :confused:

Jerry Hossom
02-21-2004, 11:26 AM
I can't find 15xx in any listing I've seen.