View Full Version : Design question - guard, bolsters or none?

Roger Gregory
05-18-2002, 12:35 PM
As it's been quiet in here for a while I'm going to interrogate a few knifemakers :)

What makes you decide to put a guard on a knife, what makes you decide on bolsters and why do you sometimes leave both off?

Why do so many 'tactical' knives have no guard or bolsters? Ease, laziness, choice, price, design?

Roger

Don Cowles
05-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Roger, just my opinion, but I believe that cost is the biggest factor in simple slab handles.

Guards lend themselves to some knife styles (hunters, Bowies, camp knives), while bolsters lend themselves to other designs - often on lighter duty blades.

You will find many, many exceptions to this generalization. Probably boils down to the taste of the maker/customer.

george tichbourne
05-18-2002, 01:59 PM
The decision is primarily economic in my case, plain is least expensive, bolsters are next, slotted guards are next and through slotted guards are most expensive.

Material costs are not the determining feature in costing usually, the labour to machine the guard type and properly fit it is, however.

When you look at the market demographic for tactical style purchasers, selling price could be a factor. Another determining factor could be fashion, you just can't accessorize basic black easily. Ask your wife.

Cactusforge
05-18-2002, 05:51 PM
Well said Gib