View Full Version : Michael Price grind - looking for ideas and clarification.

Jason Cutter
12-23-2003, 08:03 PM
GDay guys, I have been using this grind on some of my camp knives - I read about it from Ed Fowlers writings. He always calls it a modified Michael Price grind. Sort of a reversed distal taper for extra weight up front. If this is "modified" what is a Michael Price grind ? And does anyone have history or any info on whether I am even using the correct terminology ? It is actually not difficult to grind, but it works best on a big blade. Thanks in advance, Jason.

http://fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/orig?pictid={FB192015-7417-4A60-AF0F-D668831CDBDD}&exp=f&moddt=37978.803819213

Burke
01-22-2004, 12:38 AM
Jason,

The top picture in your post shows the modified Michael Price grind fairly well. It is a little different than the way Ed and I do it but good just the same. The Michael price grind that you are asking about is found on Price knives from about 1840 on but not all of the Price knives that I have seen from this period have it. Knives with this grind come out of the gaurd with a ricasso. Then imediately in front of the ricasso there is a slight but very definately thinning of the spine of the blade. The spine then starts to thicken again until it nearly reaches the original thickness of the ricasso area and then again tapers down to the point. This differs from the modified Price grind in that the modified version appears to maintain a straight distal taper when viewed from the top looking down at the spine but if the blade is pinched between the thumb and fore finger and then the fingers are pulled towards the tip you can feel the blade thin and then thicken as you near the tip and then about two thirds of the way down the blade taper into the tip again. I will try and post a couple of pictures if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Bill Burke

Jason Cutter
01-22-2004, 02:31 AM
Thanks Bill, Ed Fowler also responded to a similar post of mine on Bladeforums. Of course, I would still love to see any pictures you have, and perhaps it would be educational for other folks here too.

I am not caught up in 'names" or fancy labels, but these common names help ensure that we are talking about the same thing - it certainly helps identification and communication.

BTW, I've experimented and started using the mod. Michael Price grind concept in hollowgrinding as well. While the idea is the same, the execution is completely different and is based on how I "don't actually know" how to hollowgrind properly !! Jason.;) :D

TJ Smith
01-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Your post brought back some thoughts I had when reading Ed Fowlers article.
I had noticed that the grind I was doing left the blade a little thicker just where I started the up sweep to the tip.
As I was doing a shallow convex grind it didn't matter much except I had a little steeper angle in that area.
I expect as I lifted the tang away from the belt to start the angle to the point I hurried a little. Did the same on both sides.
At least I have a name for that grind now.
Brings up a thought . Did Michael Price do that grind on purpose or did it just come about??
Food for thought
Take Care
TJ Smith

Stormcrow
01-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Well that's nice to know. I forged that into a big chopper a while back, and it seems to work very well. It was more "Hmmm, that feels right" than anything else, as I started forging with no pre-concieved notion of what the final blade would be like.

So, can I still call the modified Michael Price grind if it's forged in? :rolleyes: :D