View Full Version : Quenching plates

allan lanigan
12-07-2003, 05:46 PM
I can pick up some copper bars and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on using them as quenching plates.

SteveS
12-13-2003, 12:56 PM
For air hardened steel I've used aluminum plates a little. Others have alot. It works just fine. Copper, tho, is an even better thermal conductor. If you've got 'em, use 'em.

I have no idea about using them on oil/water steels, however.

BTW how thick are the bars? You need mass! 1" thick is plenty. 1/2" thick might not be enough for large blades.

Hope that helps,

Steve

nate d.
12-20-2003, 03:49 PM
the only way that i heat treat is with my .5 in. copper plates. i won't use anything else to heat treat with. it is fool proof i think and i haven't screwed up a heat treat since i found mine at a garage sale and have my own pair. the gentleman that taught me about Heat treating did it this way and i love it. being a metallurgist myself it makes sense to me do it this way, for this application.

allan lanigan
12-20-2003, 08:02 PM
Thanks for your replys the copper bars i can get are just over 1/2 inch, maybe i will double up on the bars to gain mass using some heat sink paste thanks again..

Messinger
12-21-2003, 01:40 AM
Where do these large copper bars come from? I mean to say, what were they originally used for? (I'd like to find some)

-Ben

allan lanigan
12-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Ben ,i found the copper bars at a local scrap metal yard,they came out of some sort of large electrical boxes probably used in a mill ,hope this helps...

Messinger
12-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks Allan,
I've got a large metal recycler nearby. I'll talk to them and see if they have anything like that.

-Ben

Jerry Hossom
12-21-2003, 05:52 PM
I'm sure 1/2" bars will work fine as long as they're larger in the other dimensions than the blade. The key is getting the temp down below 1000F FAST; after that you can air cool.