View Full Version : Coop's Piece

dson
09-03-2001, 08:57 PM
This is Coop's Dubble Trouble D/A. It just went out today. Jim wanted something a little different material wise to contrast. After several different inlay we settled on this Carbon Fiber oval inlayed into the Giraffe bone. All tied together with a matte brown anodizing with bright blue and satin gold hightlights. This one was really fun and having the client's input was a pleasure. In the course of drawing up new inlays for Jim to preview and the subsequent conversations we pretty much covers a lot of new ideas and material combos. You'll be seeing some of them on my new pieces. Jim, I hope you enjoy this one.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1367291

William
09-03-2001, 09:24 PM
very nice work, a real eye catcher

BOB28
09-03-2001, 11:49 PM
Beautiful seemless inlay. good job.

dson
09-04-2001, 08:17 AM
Thanks guys. I just hope Coop likes it as much. I've gotten a lot of response on the inlays on this one.
ld

ansoknives
09-04-2001, 02:51 PM
untraditional...I think it really shows how well you do this! Absolutely incredible!

BOB28
09-05-2001, 04:08 AM
I can see why d. Those inlays are perfect.

Coop747
09-06-2001, 07:46 PM
Yowweee!!!!

Larry, I have been drooling over this arrival since we started, and as I write this the knife is still in UPS's hands--somewhere between TX and CT. I practically tackled the UPS driver this morning!

Larry's name of this series is 'Double Trouble': dual action, dual bolster's and now dual inlays. Larry asked, and I talked about a possible union of non-traditional materials being used together. I remembered a Scott Sawby folder I saw with carbon fiber scales yet with delicate rose and floral engraving. It was a study in contrasts. Initially I was shocked, and then I kept coming back to it, having piqued my interest again and again. I hoped to have the same visual response here.

Larry kept drawing inlay patterns for me and we collaborated on this particular pattern. Then we finalized the materials and colors to match. It was exciting to be involved, let me tell you. I am anxious to see his other ideas created soon!

I have to say that Larry Davidson is one of the finest men I have had the pleasure to deal with in our Knife World, and was very helpful and communicative from the get-go. It doesn't get any better than this, guys.

Larry, a great big publick thanks!

Now where the heck is that !@#$% UPS driver!!

Jim 'Coop' Cooper

JerryO13
09-07-2001, 02:31 PM
Coop, great knife! what I really like is the possibilities it represents. Various inlay patterns, perhaps even initials?

Coop747
09-08-2001, 05:42 PM
Folks. Got this piece today and it is even better in hand than you can imagine. This knife is no joke. The workmanship all over is outstanding. I own a number of delicate folders, and this knife ISN'T one of them. It is very heavy -duty in the best sense. But just as beautiful.

I can't say enough how pleased I am with this knife, and even more so with
the experience of working with Larry. He is a machinist/artist/bladesmith
extraordinare, but even this is surpassed by his affable personality. We are
lucky to have men like him represent our field.

Run, don't walk to Larry's table next show. They'll all be gone!

Coop