View Full Version : New Bowie ( Got It! )

Jim Small
09-25-2001, 11:54 PM
I just finished this bowie a couple of day ago. The blade which is not shown is a standard clip point ground from 440C. The guard is hand filed out of standard cold roll steel. The handle is milled from cold roll....the tang is narrow and is fastened the old way with hidden pins and epoxy. The handle material is (live) Mother of Pearl. Live Mother of Pearl comes from the live shell fish and shows more tranlucent, has more deep and reflective color. I engraved all the open areas and rust blued. The choil was also engrave as was the open areas of the blade.

http://pstr-m04.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00F/04/58/48/FE/sRT7zHNS8M+2p27AMTkq8rOE2IZt1Omq0180.jpg

primos
09-26-2001, 12:04 AM
Man, that's classy Jim! Really nice.

Jim Small
09-26-2001, 12:26 AM
Terry
Thanks for the nice words.....
Alot of time alot of work.......it all pays off at the finish line.
Jim

Don Cowles
09-26-2001, 05:43 AM
Super work, Jim!

Coop747
09-26-2001, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the looksee, Jim. Absolutely a very fine presentation Bowie. I'd love to see the full blade. Nice engraving and filework to really dress it up!

Keep us posted with more!

Coop

Jon Christensen
09-27-2001, 07:32 AM
very nice Jim, love to see the whole blade.
Great work!!!!!
Jon

Rade L Hawkins
09-27-2001, 10:43 AM
Jim, Great looking handle. Glad to see you are letting us see some of your work. It would be nice if you would post two photos one of the engraving and one of the full knife. this will give a more comprehensive veiw of just how talented you are. I have admired your work for longer than most people have been alive and thats a long time. Glad to see you are making more knives------------Regards Rade
PS for you that don't know it Jim was the first person to show me how to grind a knife way back in the dark ages. Don't know where to thank him or shoot him but he did start a 31, year love affair with knife making that is still going on today

Jim Small
09-27-2001, 05:23 PM
Rade
Your to kind....
This is such a great place to get....and pass along information. I told SRJ the other day that I certainly wish that we had all this information 30 years ago.

PS:
I didn't realize that it had been 31 years.....long time.
Good memories.

Rade:
To push an issue you have to believe in it and the push it.
Thanks
Jim

winstonknives
09-27-2001, 08:36 PM
Very nice work!

I have often wondered about this type of handle construction but have never run across anyone to show me. This would make an interesting tutorial. (hint hint)