View Full Version : couple of new folders

Rade L Hawkins
10-14-2001, 02:22 PM
the small folder is 5" overall with a 2" blade. The blade is cpm-420-v bolsters and liners are blue titaniun, handles are white mother of pearl.
the top folder is a 3" Warrencliff design. Blade is cpm440-V bolsters and liners are titanium and the handles are fossilized Oosik. I don't make a lot of the small folders but I really like this little one. Since today is my birthday I may just give it to myself !!!!!!!!!!!!-------
http://www.radehawkinscustomknives.com/pix/oosik-and-pearl-folder-burl.jpg

viper5192
10-14-2001, 02:55 PM
Very nice knives there Rade! Love them folders! Keep 'em coming!

Roger Gregory
10-14-2001, 03:00 PM
I especially like the lines of the Wharncliff. That one looks like it would be very handy. But could a man keep using a knife with such beautiful handle material?

Mother of pearl too, another favourite.

Nice looking knives Rade, but then they always are!

Roger

Jim Small
10-14-2001, 04:12 PM
Rade....
Very Very Nice.....I especially like the little one. My birthday is in April....could you hold till then. Enjoyed our talk and thanks for your help.
Great Work!
Jim

primos
10-14-2001, 04:49 PM
Happy Birthday Rade.

My favorite is the small one too. I really like the design. Nice flowing lines. Looks like it would be real comfortable in the hand too.

Mike Conner
10-14-2001, 05:49 PM
Happy Birthday Rade,
I don't blame you for keeping the small one. Both are great knives, but the small one looks like a very useable knive and besides I am a big fan of 420V.
Mike

Rade L Hawkins
10-15-2001, 09:21 AM
Roger, Oosik is not the most durable material but it will hold up very well if taken care of. With normal use it should last a life time and continue to age gracefully
Jim Small Thank you but you can't have my knife.
Terry this is a pocket knife you can actually carry in your pocket--very comfortable.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes--This was #-63 --
I CAN'T BELIVE I AM THAT OLD!!!!!!!!!!

BCB27
10-15-2001, 10:21 AM
Great folders, Rade, and Happy Birthday!

JerryO13
10-15-2001, 12:25 PM
Happy Birthday Rade! I like those knives too. I like the small one, but personally I'd like to see more blade for that length handle. I see why your so even tempered your also a Libra, like me :) my B-day's this friday!

Roger Gregory
10-15-2001, 01:57 PM
Rade, I forgot the Happy Birthday! Here's to another 63..... :)

Thanks for the info on oosik, I assumed it wouldn't hold up to the usual ill-treatment pocket knives get. At least a fixed bladed gets shoved back in a sheath, not into a pocketful of change, keys and so on, however unintentionally.

Roger

Rade L Hawkins
10-15-2001, 02:45 PM
Jerry,hope you have a happy birthday also. The blade is a little short for the handle but that is just my overengineering comming thru. The pivot is set about 1/2" from the end of the bolster and almost 1" of blade is in the handle. This makes a very strong and stiff lock up(little over kill) some day I will learn that every thing dosn't have to be made like a tank. On my larger folders it is well worth the small loss of blade length.
I have been very luckey,I haven't had but one knife returned in the past 30 years. Again "HAPPY BIRTHDAY"

CKDadmin
10-15-2001, 05:00 PM
Rade, are you that stinking old? Who was it that said a man should be shot at 30 years old?

Ha ha ha

Alex

Tom Militano
10-15-2001, 06:18 PM
Happy Birthday Rade!!! Hope you have many more.
Tom

JerryO13
10-16-2001, 10:22 AM
Alex, your thinking about "Logan's Run"

Rade, I see what you mean about the pivot being back from the front of the knife, it holds more of the blade. When closed does the back of the blade protrude from the handle or is it flush?

Rade L Hawkins
10-16-2001, 05:36 PM
Jerry the blade dosn't protrude but it is almost flush. On the next one I will shorten this tang area and place the pivot slightly forward. This will allow me to gain about 1/4" of blade length and shorten the handle by about 1/4". this will give the same overall size but with a longer blade----This will give me something to do next week. I am teaching a class on liner locks starting tomorrow, I may modify the design then.

Alex is refering to a statement I made to his dad back when we were in the navy togeather " I told him that when a man got to be 40 years old he should be taken out and shot. A man is worthless after getting that old". I was 20 at the time