View Full Version : Just in time for hunting season!

Mondt
11-01-2001, 01:10 PM
Stag handled 3 1/2" CPM10V blade with dovetailed nickle silver bolsters and a file worked spine. My last set of stag scales too! :(

I'll have start digging around to get more now! :)

What do ya think?

http://mondtknives.20m.com/images/stagcomp.jpg

TMarshman
11-01-2001, 01:31 PM
Nice work, Doug!

Don Cowles
11-01-2001, 02:00 PM
Indeed!

Raymond Richard
11-03-2001, 07:52 AM
Doug, Good looking knife. How's that steel to work? Could you tell me some of the selling points of that steel and is it real spendy? How's it to heat treat? I've heard Sambar Stag is supposed to start comming into the country. Has anyone got any of the new stuff yet? Ray

Mondt
11-03-2001, 11:53 PM
Ray,
10V is the real deal in edge holding. I usually have my blades end up at 61 Rc. This has been performing very well. I get tired of cutting before I run out of edge. And at this hardness resharpening is not tricky. I know some who keep thier 10V up at 63. This is good for small blades and someone who knows his way around the sharpening stone. Heat treating is not hard but it is high temp. I was starting down the road to doing my own when I ran into Paul Bos. No need now. He does great things with 10V! If you want specifics e-mail me and I can get my book out.

Annealed steel works about like D2 in my opinion. After heat treat though you will chew up belts if you have a lot of finish work to do. It doesn't like to polish, a nice hand rubbed finish is my choice.

Some don't like it because it is not stainless. I have not had any complaints or even observed any corrosion on 10V with just a minimum of care.

As for pricing???? I haven't got any for over a year. I stocked up when I had the chance. The Crucible site should have current pricing.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the comments.

P.S. Haven't seen any new stag around here!!