View Full Version : Another hot Neil Blackwood knife

Dennis Bible
12-07-2001, 10:13 AM
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1473027

The wood is MAPLE. It came from a BIG block that Neil got from a guy in Washington. It's not regular burl, it's from where the burl was attached to a crotch section of the tree. It also was in the early stages of decay, so it has some spalted characteristics to it!! That's what the blackline is, runing through the lanyard hole.

The knife is Neil's Small Hunter model in 5/32" D2 with a tapered tang. It measures 7 3/4" OAL with a 3 1/4" (sharpened) blade. Under the stabilized wood is blue spacers.

This one should be shipping to me today! I can't wait to get it. Especially since my neck ninja is at Kenny Rowe's getting fitted for a sheath.

Does Neil do fabulous work or what? Check out that mean filework.

Mondt
12-07-2001, 11:01 AM
Indeed he does do fine work! Very nice looking slabs and file work.

Coop747
12-07-2001, 01:26 PM
Thanks for your posts! Neil's knives have *really* impressed me.

And stop teasing us with the awesome filework remarks. SHOW US!!!! Sheesh. :D

Coop

Dennis Bible
12-07-2001, 01:38 PM
This is the best picture of his filework I could find:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1440450

Coop747
12-07-2001, 04:55 PM
:eek: ::eek: ::eek: ::eek: ::eek: ::eek: ::eek: ::eek: ::eek: :

Now THAT'S some mean filework!

Coop

cajun bones
12-07-2001, 09:41 PM
Those are some classic lines (or is that "classy"? :) ). Neil's work certainly stands out.

Heard from him the other day. He's busy as heck right now, and happy about it!

Chris

Neil Blackwood
12-13-2001, 05:01 PM
I do enjoy this forum and hope to participate more once the holiday RUSH is over!! I appreciate the kind words, Dennis' Small Hunter did work out nicely with that wood :) This wood often reveals flaws but when it finishes nice, ITS NICE!!!

Most of the filework patterns I do are assymetric, and kind of visually "flip flop" across the spine. I've been using my new milling machine to equally space and remove material from the larger areas. I then finish them up with my hand files. It saves a little time but more importantly, makes them more precise.

Have a happy and SAFE holiday season,

Neil

Cactusforge
12-13-2001, 06:41 PM
Great looking knife I like that wood and file work Gib

Matt Harildstad
12-14-2001, 12:42 AM
Too funny. Neil says that using his mill saves time. When I think of the days I've wasted screwing aroung with my mill, or the milling attachment on my lathe, I could just cry.

No poop, every slot I have milled in a guard has wound up off-center, and I've had to measure and grind to straighten it out. If I did not hate taking out the excess from between chain drilled holes, I'd give up. (Hmmm, maybe the milling attachment in the Taig lathe isn't the way to go. I know, I'll buy a vertical mill, that's gotta help!) Every piece of tooling I've made using my old horizontal mill looks like some grade 10 shop project. Good thing I never tried to be a machinist.

Beautiful work Neil.

Neil Blackwood
12-15-2001, 04:30 PM
Thanks Gib,
I'm about to take a look at your website!!

Matt,
A few days with a good, solid mill and you will be on you way to being a machinist. The bench top ones are just not rigid enough for any serious milling. I have the small grizzly mill that I mill my thumb grooves as well as the filework prep. It's also great for slitting liner lock slots. It's handy but a full size Brideport is what I would like eventually. My friend has a new one with a digital readout. I use it often and it's the ultimate manual mill. The only problem is that he's 20 minutes away and often has his own projects set up in it :(

Neil