View Full Version : Design

Peacemak3r
09-25-2003, 10:02 AM
I am a CNC machinist and am interested in making my own knife. Does anyone have any tips on where I may find blueprints or ideas for design?

srjknives
09-25-2003, 04:24 PM
Not me, sorry. Hang in there, though, someone will give you some help, I'm sure.

Drac
09-25-2003, 04:53 PM
You might want to try the newbie area and the tutorials. One of the postings:

http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13921

has a ton of sites, books and vidoes on the subject. There are a lot of designs on Engnath's site mentioned there. I would recommend going through a lot of the old postings, quite a few cover different design pros & cons, the latest covered the differences between flat anf convex grinds. A lot of go material there.

Look around, jump in, and welcome. I'm sure you'll enjoy your self.

Jim

BrianT
09-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Combine your imagination with your skills and I am sure you will develop a wonderful design without blueprints.

By the way, is your user name in any way reference to Colt?

Good luck
Brian

McAhron
09-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Go to the newbie arena there is a stick(post) from yesterday with a book list .many of those books have pictures and diagrams.read as much as you can .there is alot more to making knives than the metal work.wood.leather.dyes.heat treats etc.
GOOG LUCK AND WELCOME TO THE KNIFE MAKING ADDICTION

Peacemak3r
09-26-2003, 10:42 PM
Thankyou to all, I will take your advice and inspire myself, using my skills, and view the links you gave me....and yes this name is related to the Colt..lol ...Ty for the warm welcome

Tod
11-01-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Peacemak3r
I am a CNC machinist and am interested in making my own knife. Does anyone have any tips on where I may find blueprints or ideas for design?

Start reading Knives Illustrated or Blade magazine. There's plenty of knife books out their with photos. Look at some knives you own. My first knife came about because I couldn't buy exactly what I wanted.

Good luck on your endevour.

Don Robinson
11-01-2003, 09:38 AM
The others have given good suggestions for books and magazines.

I design all my folders to exact scale using CAD. You can use these designs to cut out the parts on a CNC machine, but you'll still have a lot of hand work to do.

I have two books listed on my web site that you might find helpful. Go here: http://home.rgv.rr.com/donrob

On the home page, click on the links for "My Way" and "How to make a tactical knife".

Both these books are designed for experienced knifemakers and/or machinists.

You can email me directly from the web site if you're interested. Buy the book and I'll throw in a design.:cool:

SVanderkolff
11-05-2003, 12:49 PM
My first foray into knife books was the knives annual 1999, I have since managed to acquire every one of the books from 1981 through to 2003. Anytime I need some inspiration I can go to any one of the books and look at literally hundreds of knife pictures of some of the best made knives. If you are looking for inspiration the Knives Annual books are great. Not only that but they come up regularly on ebay so for 5 to 10 bucks you can own each of these books.
Hope this helps
Steve

JensJ
11-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Steve, we started with the same issue of the 'Knives...' book;)

I do it the same as you-look through these books over and over again, then start making sketches...if I like a design, I make a simple cardboard model, to see if the handle eronomics etc work. Ok, not CAD, but it works for me.