View Full Version : What's this..............?

Dawkind
09-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Ahh, the beginnings of a safe handle for a latchless Typhoon Bowie, I do believe.......;)
http://fototime.com/5141D1C222E6295/standard.jpg

I always liked a safe handle that had a different feel and could be identified by touch or sight........ especially on a latchless.
http://fototime.com/D1C9CF7B7F6CB3E/standard.jpg

Sorry for the new thread but I wanted to keep a little activity drummed up here on the CKD Bali Forum and for my ol' buddy Duane at EDCKnives (http://edcknives.com/) who was so kind as to get me going on this project with one of the Typhoon kits he has in stock and for sale.

I've got to say that I'm very impressed with the high quaility of this kit knife!!! I put it together, got it all adjusted and it's got to rival anything out there at twice the price.....or more :eek:! Anyone in the market for a superior bali that doesn't want to spend a ton of $$$'s NEEDS one of these kits! It's the best buy out there, IMHO.....:cool:.....real stainless handles and all.

sfmiller
09-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Thats an excellent idea! Functional and looks great too. Cant wait to see the finished product.

ixpfah
09-04-2003, 04:32 PM
I second that! Looking good there, Dudley. :)

Man, I sometimes (ok, all the time!) wonder what kind of machinery some of you guys have access to... And, of course, I hate you for it. :evil :D

Dawkind
09-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ixpfah
Man, I sometimes (ok, all the time!) wonder what kind of machinery some of you guys have access to......

The 'machinery' that did this to the handles was a 3/32" chainsaw file, a 60` file to start the lines with, a 40 lpi (line per inch) checkering file and a vise to hold the handles in.............

Ix, you can do #### near ANY of these modifications with a solid vise, a handful of sharp files, different grits of sandpaper, and a lot of elbow grease......... I did use a set of dial calipers to lay the dimensions out, a square to get the lines straight, and a scribe to make the initial lines.

The finest knives and knifemakers on earth are seperated by the amount of time put into the fine and final details, the things that most people wouldn't even think about.

Take your time, go slowly (especially if you've never done much of this before) and you'll be amazed at what you can do if you give it a chance!!!!!!!

If an old f*rt like me can do it, anybody can!!!!!!!!!!:D

daveb
09-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Whoa, that's awesome! I really like the way that came out. Can't wait to see what it's going to look like when it's all done.

Dave Bettencourt

Chris Daigle
09-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Dawkind,

I echo your comment about the "little details". :)

Very sweet looking bali by the way!

Chris

FivePointOh
09-04-2003, 11:28 PM
Lookin' Good! Nice work Dudley. Now put that puppy together. :D

ExamonLyf
09-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Yeah that is lookin' good Dudley! Great idea on the safe handle, and the blade profile looks really nice....