View Full Version : Just one week to go

mrsjoan
08-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Hi guys,

John has been out back for the last many days working on several small fancy slip-joint folders to take with him to the SouthEastern Custom Knife Show this weekend.

For a while I thought he was trying to do to many at one time because he kept coming in and asking what I thought of this handle material on this blade with this bolster etc..........So I ventured out back to check on him. And you know what! I discovered you knifemaker's, trying to decide just how you want you latest creation to look, are as bad as any woman trying to decide what shoes to wear with what dress etc.....

John and I do look forward to this show more than any other. Atlanta is nice but there is just something about the fellowship and location of this show that makes it special for us. This year I think I am even going to try to make the Bowie Symposium. Every year I think I am going to check that out, but I get tied up checking folks in and forget. I hear Dr. Lucie will be there talking about the Scagel knives. I enjoyed talking with Dr. Lucie in Atlanta this past June, so I know this will be interesting.

We are expecting a great show and seeing all of you there.

Joan

Andrew McLurkin
08-30-2003, 08:09 PM
Only one week? Oh no! I better get busy!!!

I'm planning on attending the Bowie Symposium for the first time also. I have neglected to attend in the past and always missed out on good knife stuff.

Now back to picking out my materials. :)

Barry Jones
08-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by mrsjoan
For a while I thought he was trying to do to many at one time because he kept coming in and asking what I thought of this handle material on this blade with this bolster etc..........So I ventured out back to check on him. And you know what! I discovered you knifemaker's, trying to decide just how you want you latest creation to look, are as bad as any woman trying to decide what shoes to wear with what dress etc.....
Joan

Yes, we are just like that. We also go out and buy large numbers of expensive materials and sit them in a storage box only to use them years down the road for just the right project. It's just like when you ladies go buy new shoes and only wear them one time for the right get-together:p

Phillip and I are really looking forward to the show. We always do. It's one of the friendliest shows to do.

Mom and Sally will be there on sunday. They can't wait.

simmonsk
08-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Hi,
This year I have to close my eyes as I walk past Nico's table.
I can no longer afford to pay his way to America each year. Barry and John can do it this year.:D
Who do we have to harass to get banquet tickets? We need 2 for sure and probably 3. Did I mention we are going to win the knife raffle? Just thought I'd let you know.
No show is complete without at least 2 trips to the room to drop off supplies. I doubt this one will be any different.
Best of luck for everything except the drawing...Ken and Nan

mrsjoan
08-31-2003, 11:57 AM
Ken,

Check with whoever is minding the check-in table or with Tommy McNabb to get the banquet tickets. In the past, when I have worked the check-in we have had the extra tickets there to sell to folks who needed to get extras. I am assuming it will be the same this year.

Check-in day is an absolute blast at the show. Even though everyone is focused on what has to be done and making sure it happens, you get to see all the folks who have tables and actually have time to chat with them. That of course is a "cool treat" in the midst of all the "hectic-ness". And of course if you are helping the suppliers unload, sometimes you get the "sneak-preview" of what they have. My John really loves that part.

You and Nan take care making the trek. We just might see you along the road. But if not, we will see you there. Oh and just to warn you, the sword by the Jones Brothers has MY name on it. I truly am sorry and quite sad that you are going to be disappointed.:( ;)