View Full Version : Damascus Ring

simmonsk
08-08-2003, 11:05 AM
Hi,
I want to try making a wedding band of damascus steel.
Making the damascus is no problem. I have a small cone for blacksmithing and a sizer for measuring the inside diameters. I intend to cast a fine silver lining into it once the steel part is completed. The pattern will match a knife I am designing.
Do I start with a strip, make it round and scarf weld the ends or start with a disk and hot punch a hole in it?
Thanks, Ken

J.Arthur Loose
08-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Ken,

I've been making damascus wedding bands. I've sold three sets now. First I make the silver lining to size, taking a flat band and bending it around & soldering. I make it a little wider than the end result. Then I forge the damascus to a flat bar, drill out the finger hole to approximate size, then cut out the circle on the bandsaw or with a heavy blade in a jeweler's saw.

It really helps if you can spheroidize the damascus or make a very soft combination.

Next is to fit the silver lining to the damascus band. The fit should be tight but not impossible. Then file the damascus band to size & polish... it is surprising how thin you need to get it to accomodate the lining & not be too thick to wear comfortably. I cover the inside of the band with nail polish before etching so the fit doesn't change. I bevel the inside of the damascus so I can bevel the silver lining into it and lock it into place.

There's some pics up on my website, with better pics to follow. I need a better close-up camera & light box now that I'm doing more jewelry!

Good luck!

Jerry Oksman
08-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Hey Jonathan, have you ever made a set of cuff-links and matching studs, either damascus or mokume gane?

simmonsk
08-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Jonathan:
Thanks for your help!
The next squeeze session I will make the bar a little longer and try it out. Sort of looks like a twist pattern or "W's" would show off nicely. I have a good torch coming for soldering and brazing.
Now off to Rio Grande for silver solder and silver....
Thanks, Ken

Jette Bybjerg
08-12-2003, 06:31 AM
Hi Ken,

I just remembered that Andr? Andersson posted a link to a Swedish goldsmith's homepage a while ago. I think she makes some beautiful damascus wedding bands. Maybe her homepage can give you some inspiration :)

http://www.sarami.nu/

Jette Bybjerg

simmonsk
08-12-2003, 07:28 AM
Hi Jette,
She does incredible work. It looks like she does some that are split and filled with the liner or contrast material. Others appear to be unbroken with gold linings.
Thank you for the site... Ken

Jette Bybjerg
08-13-2003, 07:19 AM
You're welcome and I agree, SaraMi is very talented, I'd sure like to own one of her rings!!

Jette

J.Arthur Loose
08-13-2003, 11:22 AM
I agree too, nice work.

There's another damascus jewelry maker named Nam Woo Cho (http://www.imsatlanta.com/present/lyn/llynstrong/Bracelets/P0001485.htm) who makes beautiful work:

Jerry,

I made cufflinks & gentleman's jewelry when I worked for a well known jeweler in Vermont, but not in damascus or mokume. I think damascus cuff links would be a great idea though! I'll try to have some at the NYCK Show in November. :)

aiiifish
08-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Great info guys, Thanks!! I know Jonathan has been making jewelry for some time.....I'm glad to see I'm not the only other knife maker doing this to supplement income. I don't feel so alone now.:D