View Full Version : Engraving Class

mrsjoan
08-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Hi guys,

John & I just returned from Troy NC where we attended a 9 day class on basic engraving. The class was sponsored by Montgomery Community College and the NC Custom Knifemaker's Guild. Howard Peacock was the instructor. There was 9 of us in the class. The class was really very good. Howard did a good job introducing us to the very beginning basics of engraving and then took each of us as far as we could progress.

The one thing I learned is that if you engrave you probably are not charging enough for your work!!!

By the end of the class, John had done quite well. He engraved the sides of a knife. And had a good idea of what he needs to do to get better at this.

Oh, how I wish I could say the same about me but......I have lots of control problems and really need to practice "fluidness"---and I declare that I do not see things like you guys who engrave do. SCROLLS & LEAVES----AHHHH!!!!!!!!*#*&^%*$*

Then of course there is the issue of why must you stand to do this? Never have my feet screamed so loudly, "GET OFF ME!" The extent of my daily standing is to check on the Servers where I work. I really never considered that there were jobs that required you to stand. And stand we did for 8 hours each day as we went tap, tap, tap with our little hammers and chisels.

Ron Newton was there the last few days teaching a knife class. Ron just laughed as I explained my engraving woes. He then informs me that when he engraves not only does he sit, but he sits in a lounge chair to do his engraving. (Don't you just want to pop people sometimes.) But I gotta find out how this is done. This I might can get the hang of.

All this to say---the NC Knifemaker's Guild is probably going to sponsor another--beginning/intermediate class next year. If you are interested in engraving, you can't beat this. The class this time was $90.00 and I can tell you---I got $90.00 worth of information and experience and much more.

But guys---you probably aren't pricing your work right. After all, you only have one pair of feet.

Joan

Tim Adlam
08-02-2003, 10:14 PM
Thanks Joan!

That was great!

If we can be of some help to your learning curve here, ... don't be a stranger! ...:)

I quit standing up to engrave years ago.

Here's my lounge!

I've done some modifications to the bench since this photo ... but its still comfortable.

Tim

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/standard?pictid={8D730EBB-0421-4D4B-8519-9EE5EE9AD528}

fitzo
08-03-2003, 02:21 PM
Hey, Tim!

Wazzat blue box next to the Gravermax up on the shelf?

Tim Adlam
08-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Hey Mike,

That's my secret blue box! ...:confused: ...;)

Actually its a stipple machine w/pen that I got through Bob Engnath years ago.
When these first hit the market, I called Bob and asked his opinion. He had two of 'em...one as a back-up.
He was so excited when explaining about its range of usefulness, that I had to snap for one too!
The early models were a bit finicky.
This is the third version.

Much like a tatoo pen, it lays in light to heavy dots when doing scrimshaw.

Cuts the time down immensely when laying in large tonal areas.

It doesn't have the impact power to work on metal, but its the cats-meow for ivory.

You still have to put in the finer details with a needle/pin-vise.

I wouldn't do complicated scrim without it!

Tim

fitzo
08-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Tim!