View Full Version : Quench plates

shgeo
07-17-2003, 07:21 PM
I am currently looking for some aluminum plates to use for quenching S30V. I generally get the blades almost to the finished point before heat treating. Will this work with plates?
I would hate to have to grind the hardened S30V to shape.
Do you have to wrap a single layer of foil with the creased fold off the blade?

Jerry Hossom
07-20-2003, 08:20 AM
I don't do this, since I have all my blades heat treaded, but I have friends who do and no one else is reponding. The goal is to get the steel from hardening temperature to under 1000F ASAP, AND as evenly as possible. A seam on one side would cause the opposite side to cool faster. That's not good, so keep the seam away from where the quench plates will contact the blade. If you have tapered tangs and real deep hollow grinds, like I do, you won't get much contact with the quench plates, so you need to factor that in. Hope that little bit helps.

Gary Mulkey
07-23-2003, 08:07 AM
Steve,

Even though I've not had warpage problems, I still leave the cutting edge around .040-.050" and grind down from there after H/T.

Definately leave the fold in the tool wrap off the blade. You're wanting fast cooling and consistancy. I have also gone to a fast in & out dip in water to take the heat out of the foil before press quenching. Caution: Before you try this be sure your folds are extra tight so you don't form steam inside the foil pack.

Gary