View Full Version : Filling pores in bone

Bill Vining
07-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Hi All-

I am trying out my first GX-6 kit. I purchased some dyed and stabilized Giraffe bone for some scales and ran into a little problem. The bone was concave and a little thicker than I needed so I started to mill the top flat. After removing the majority of what I needed, I then proceeded to take the rest down with sandpaper. The bone became very porous and there is now a section of the scale with some big open pores. Is there any way to fill these pores? Will Superglue work? I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.......Bill

Ray Rogers
07-03-2003, 06:52 PM
I suppose Superglue would work but I prefer Devcon 2-ton epoxy for that type of work. Hopefully, you still have some of that bone dust available. Mix it in with the epoxy to help match the color - not too much or the epoxy will 'ball' up and will stop being like a liquid.

In the future, work bone scales down from the back side until the desired thickness is achieved. Then work the top side if needed...

Tbrown
07-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Cigar Man
Texas Knifemaker Supply has a kit called Paleo Bond it works great bone,wood,ivory.or peal. 49.95 for the kit.their no. is 1-888-461-8632.
Troy Brown
http://www.elkcreekforge.com