View Full Version : drilling holes

B K
06-26-2003, 04:28 PM
hi,

i have been having trouble drilling staight holes through handles for stick/treaded tang knives. the first inch of the hole is straight but it curves after that. i believe the bit i have been using is bending as it goes into the wood due to the lenght of the bit. someone suggested i get a brad-point bit and try that. any other suggestions on getting straighter holes?

thanks,
BK

Ray Rogers
06-26-2003, 06:52 PM
Most stick/threaded tang knives I make require a 1/4 or 5/16th inch hole. A drill bit that large doesn't bend, at least mine don't. Use the shortest drill bit possible that can do the job...

Jette Bybjerg
06-27-2003, 12:40 AM
I agree with Ray - on most of my stick tang knives I drill a hole between 5/32" and 7/32" . I use a front guard with a tight fit - of course this hole has to be narrower, but the hole in the rest of the handle is not so important when you have a front guard. Once the hole is filled with epoxy you can't take it apart (I've tried, had an assembly that didn't fit very well - even boiled it first - but I ended up breaking everything apart, the epoxy worked very well). I've only had flexing problems with thinner drill bits.

Jette Bybjerg