View Full Version : makeing a bali

twekermaggio
06-20-2003, 10:07 PM
ive been a user of balisongs for sum time and have recently tried to make one. it came out alright and works but the one thing i have a hard time with is makeing the tang pin and getting it to stay secured in the tang.

if anyone could help me out or even tell me whats the best way to make a bali that would be great.

thanks alot

Terry Guinn
06-21-2003, 08:42 PM
What works best for me, is to drill slight undersized holes and press the pin in. It takes a lot of experminting to find the right size drill bit. You will need a numbered drill index and experment on scrap steel, the same type steel that blade is made from. Just a few thousands under pin diameter. If too tight pin will deform while pressing into hole, then you will need to work pin diameter down on lathe or drill press with sandpaper. I use a vice with block of micata to press pin in. If pin is too loose then you must mushroom the pin to make tight, which will change diameter of pin, I try not to go this route as you will also have to make your cups fit the oversized, mushroomed pins (you will have to do lots of hammering to make pin tight this way) I also check on piece of scrap before each hole is drilled in blade as drill will not always drill the same size hole (after drill dulles or you sharpen it) Also drills usually do not drill round hole, so you will need to measure hole all the way around (360) I recently purchaced a .124" reamer for utilizing 1/8" pin material, but pin was not tight enough, I will order a little smaller one next time and try that. Good Luck, Terry

How are other makers going about this?

twekermaggio
06-21-2003, 10:32 PM
hay thanks man. i was using a peice of nail and JB weld to hold it in (not the best and looks nasty but it works).

thanks again