View Full Version : Typhoon CF Inserts

Junkyard Dawg
06-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Hey guys. I'm a brand spankin' NOOB to knifemaking, and actually relatively new to the knife hobby in general.

I got my Typhoon kit an I'm freaking out, can't stay away from it! I got the milled handle with carbon fiber scales. So far I'm filing the scales with some stuff I had laying around the house... a coarse sandpaper block and my wife's metal nail file. I finished one scale last night... it took maybe the better part of an hour. Is this totally ghetto or what?

I don't mind that time it takes since I want this to be as perfect as my limited skills will allow. But if anyone any tips for better scale fitting, I'll take 'em. If you tell me, "nope, it's just old fashioned elbow grease" then I'll accept that too. Thanks guys!

Darrel Ralph
06-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Hi JD,
It takes some elbow grease to get the finish that you want on the inlays. The main idea here is to make sure they fit the radius pocket portion of the handle from our side. Then it's up to you to finish them.

For some tips on finishing I would post a question in the kit making forum also.
Here is the link:
http://ckdforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=19

The folks in the kit making forum have been making kits for some time now and have great suggestions.

nybble
06-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Hey, should we be worried any about CF or Micarta dust as we're filing?

KNAdmin
06-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Yes, one whiff of that dust will kill you instantly! You won't even know what happened, because you will be dead! :D

Alex

Darrel Ralph
06-07-2003, 03:53 PM
ALWAYS wear a respirator with any sanding operation.
I doesn't matter what the material is.
They all have dangers associated with them.

Junkyard Dawg
06-07-2003, 05:14 PM
Thanks fellas! I figured it would be a laborious manual process. But I'm liking it, actually. Brings back old memories of high school shop class when my partner was the hottest chick in the 9th grade hoo-raahhh...!

Umm.. right, then. Yeah thanks for the tips and I'll prolly repost in the kit forum. I'll also post pics when I'm done but that won't be for quite a while =) Peace out.

DistinctiveEdge
06-07-2003, 08:35 PM
So many great names in this forum! I am glad we are here! Paul

ZENGHOST
06-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Hey, Paul...good to see you here.

ExamonLyf
06-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by CKDAdmin
Yes, one whiff of that dust will kill you instantly! You won't even know what happened, because you will be dead! :D

Alex

LOL..., always that essence of "Humanism" Alex.....:rolleyes:

You forgot to mention that lazer-cut latches also cause syhphilitic lesions to erupt on all males over 15, and residing in North America.... 8o

On a serious note.., as mentioned.., the respiriator is always a good idea with any material you work with. I think it's safer to simply consider all the handle materials potentially toxic, because most of them are to one extent or another.