View Full Version : Quench

gwriffer
06-05-2003, 04:48 PM
I am about to quench my knife (1095) . I have normalized it three times after most of my grinding. I have 5.5 gallons of peanut oil. Is it ok to use peanut oil? I am going to preheat it with a gas burner, turn the burner off after I reach my preheat and then bring my knife up to heat and quench. This is my first time. I am praying that the warp syndrome doesn't set in. I need profesional advise!!!! Please!!!

GW

Ray Rogers
06-05-2003, 06:23 PM
Peanut oil seems like it would be thinner than motor oil or hydraulic fluid which are commonly used but it should work. If the oil is thinner the possibility of cracking the steel is increased. 1095 can be quenched in water which is obviously thinner than any oil but I lose about 25% of my blades when I use water.

Don't heat the peanut oil, or any other oil, beyond about 125 F.

All that matters is that you raise the temperature of the steel steadily and evenly until you reach non-magenetic. Then quench it and, after it cools, temper it....

gwriffer
06-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Thanks Ray, I was under the impression that the thinner the oil the better. Thanks for making that clear.

GW

GANNMADE
06-06-2003, 03:18 PM
GW ,I WORK OFF OF BATTLEGROUND .EVER NEED HELP GIVE ME A
A SHOUT SINCE YOUR IN STINKADENA.

fitzo
06-06-2003, 03:57 PM
I don't think you need to heat all that oil, personally. I've seen people successfully quench blades in a pint of oil in a tilted electric fry pan.

GANNMADE
06-13-2003, 11:29 PM
HERE'S THE LINK ON THE 5160
http://www.knifemakingsupplies.com/item24118.ctlg