View Full Version : engraving a bolster-cost

SVanderkolff
05-28-2003, 02:04 PM
I have been feeling the urge to have one of my maple birds engraved on the bolster. I realize that everyone has there own pricing but is it possible to get a ballpark cost to do a set of bolsters.
Thanks
Steve

Don Cowles
05-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Steve, it depends on a couple of things. First, the material and size of the bolsters, and second, who does it. Prices range from $100 to $2000 for similar jobs in 416SS, and turnaround time can be more than a year for an engraver who is in great demand.

Tim Adlam
05-28-2003, 07:47 PM
Steve,

I don't think the cost for the birds would be extravagant. I'm not sure what they look like, but a guess would be around $50 to $75. per.

...Since you brought up the "P" word...

Don's right-on about the wide range of pricing.

Also consider personal taste.

Relief engraving will cost more than a line engraved pattern, mainly because of the labor-time required for removing the backgound material.

Add gold borders or accents and the cost increases.

Animals, games scenes, portraits???

There is no "industry standard" price structure.

If an engraver did the same pattern over and over, then pricing would be simple.

It's when you have a lot of styles to offer, is when pricing comes down to a per job basis.

A little advice...

If you're looking to commission any kind of embellishment work to boost a sale of a knife, it's important to translate that intent
to you're artist of choice.

They can taylor a pleasing design to meet your budget, while still allowing for a margin of profit for yourself.

Hope this gives you something to work with.

Tim

SVanderkolff
05-28-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks Tim and Don
Thats what I needed to know.
Steve

ron p. nott
05-29-2003, 08:21 AM
Hey Steve . if you want quility bird engraving in my openion the best at that are Lee Griffit and Chris De Camilis .. these guys make a bird look like it will fly off of your knife ..

Tim Adlam
05-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Steve,

Checked your photo album to figure out what "maple birds" you were refering to.

I thought it was a type of signature logo design you had and Ron thought you were refering to realistic birds!

I didn't make the connection that it was a reference to a style of knife you make.

Sorry 'bout that!...:eek:

...This may help.

Considering the size and shape of the bolster, you should be able to get a nice job for around $200.

Some pricing structures are also based on the square inch and then you get into pricing per "one quality or level of work".

It can get confusing at times, but it usually comes down to a per job basis and the quoting method the engraver or scrim artist is comfortable with using.

Tim