View Full Version : When you buy a custom balisong...

ghen
05-23-2003, 10:35 PM
what kind of edge do you expect? I was always in love with the hair-popping mirror smooth razor edge, until DDR schooled me on the "toothy" (his word) edge.

Now, when I buy a custom bali (or any custom knife) I try ro get the edge tailored to my intended use. A user gets a toothy edge, a dedicated showpiece (which I rarely buy) I like the mirror smooth edge.

What about everyone else? What kind of edge is your favorite?

PEACE

GHEN

ZENGHOST
05-24-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by ghen
what kind of edge do you expect? I was always in love with the hair-popping mirror smooth razor edge, until DDR schooled me on the "toothy" (his word) edge.

Now, when I buy a custom bali (or any custom knife) I try ro get the edge tailored to my intended use. A user gets a toothy edge, a dedicated showpiece (which I rarely buy) I like the mirror smooth edge.

What about everyone else? What kind of edge is your favorite?

PEACE

GHEN
Hmmm...I never even thought of requesting a specific type of edge. I usually expect "hair-popping mirror smooth razor edge," though. Of course I don't buy a whole lot of customs so it never even occurred to me.

penguinva
05-24-2003, 03:38 AM
Whatever edge DDR gives me! 0] Prefer a sharp working edge since none of my customs are "closet queens" - knives/Balis are cutting tools whether custom or not. :cool: :cool: :D

Bill

navajo
05-27-2003, 12:21 PM
I have learned, over time, to use different bench stones for different edges.
Most factory or maker edges are not exactly what I want so I go to the stones when getting a new knife.
Not that hard to do with the right stones. Not that hard to learn either.

ExamonLyf
06-01-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by navajo
I have learned, over time, to use different bench stones for different edges.

Agreed. I also like to sort of play with edges dependent on the profile, and intended use.

I would also add that I tend to like "toothy" on any flat ground blade, but a long, steep-taperred edge on a hollow ground knife and buffed to a mirror finish does have aesthetic appeal.