View Full Version : Dymondwood

T. Hendrickson
05-22-2003, 01:30 PM
How come no one likes Dymondwood? Because it looks cheap? It is very durable, easyto finish, And If used right, can be nice looking. Whats up with that?

Jamey Saunders
05-22-2003, 02:18 PM
I think Dymondwood (or Pakkawood, depending on your catalog) has a bad rap for two reasons:

1. It is used on cheap import knives that you can get ten for a dollar. (OK, ten for two dollars...)

2. While some of the solid colors do look nice, the majority of the selection is multi-colored and, in my opinion, absolutely butt-ugly.

My experience with the stuff is that it is also on the heavy side. Don't know if that's just the little bit of it that I have used or what, but my handles were really heavy.

You're right, though. The stuff's tough as hell, and resistant to just about anything short of a nuclear explosion, but so are cockroaches...:D

whv
05-22-2003, 06:40 PM
good for kitchen stuff, especially wet environments too. like jamey, though, there are only a few colors that i can stomach.

T. Hendrickson
05-27-2003, 10:28 AM
I get your message..thanks for the replies.

yendor
05-27-2003, 09:27 PM
I dont think dymondwood is that good about 1 out of 10 times i use it i split it. but it is great on a cheap working knife.

T. Hendrickson
05-29-2003, 10:45 AM
What you say is very true...it splits very easily. Its a pain in the butt to drill.

GANNMADE
05-30-2003, 11:31 AM
PEOPLE LOVE TO CALL IT BRAZILIAN HARDWOOD:rolleyes: ERR BOY . BUT LIKE JAMEY AND WAYNE SAID A FEW COLORS ARE O.K.:)

Shannon Hooge
05-31-2003, 11:09 PM
Hi all,
Just my two cents, I have worked with pakka and exotic woods. Beyond the reasons given above, I don't think it has the depth that exotics or even regular walnut or maple have when finished well. I put pakkawood on beater knives and it's ok, but for something that is fantastic to look at spend an extra three bucks for a natural wood and seal it with a good quality gun sealer, or better yet, have it stabilized.

Shannon