View Full Version : filework

Omega
05-15-2003, 09:04 PM
how do you guys make the neg. space stay black on your filework a magic marker works but is it all that permanate? thx

Bill

Sweeet:evil

Osprey Guy
05-15-2003, 10:01 PM
I used to try all sorts of different markers and pens...some work for awhile but eventually they wear off. Lately, rather than attempt to blacken the negative areas, I make much deeper cuts (steeper angle) in the pattern. I can achieve some drama that way, and know that it's going to last.

But, having said that, I'm still always on the lookout for something that might last...Might try Van's Cold Gun Blue to help darken...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!:smokin

Jim Small
05-15-2003, 11:08 PM
Bill
A couple of quick ideas........

There is a silk screen ink used to print instructional information on many different kinds of equipment.....such as motor plates...glass...plastic and so forth. I have tried it in the past and it works very well. If it is applied according to the instructions it should work well for you. It comes in many colors but, for negitave areas I am sure you will want to use black. There is another ink that is used in the compact disc ( CD ) industry. The ink is applied by silk screen on the compact disc and is then hardened under ultra violet lignt ( UV Light ). You can paint it on your project with a artist brush...it should do fine. Check out one of you CD's and you will see what I mean.....virtually indistructable. Most supply houses which deal in printing inks will be happy to send samples. The samples alone will last along time.
There is a warning you must be aware of in using a UV light source.....do not expose it to your eyes and the ink is a little dangerous too. You might want to check this out.....

I can't tell you a source because it's been a long time since I used the first mentioned. I used it to fill the background in my engraving with these inks and they worked fine. I am sure you are aware that if you do English file work on nickle silver that it can be oxidized with cold blue...and any one of the cold bluing agents will work fine...it also works fine on brass. About the only way to fill the negitive area of stainless steel is with the inks I mentioned.

When I blacken the background of engraving on stainless firearms I use Brownells bake on black laquer.....The best thing I have ever used. It is designed to be painted on and then baked at 320 degrees for an hour.....believe me it won"t come off.....no solvents seem to remove the stuff. If you have any other question drop me an e-mail.
I have used just about everything so, I am sure I can answer just about any questions you might have.........
Thank
Jim Small