View Full Version : Extending Belt Life - grinding 6AL4V

Scott Cook
05-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Hi Steve and the CKD crowd,

I'm looking for any tips one may have that will extend the life of a belt when grinding titanium. Besides the obvious of machining or milling my part closer to a finished piece, any (before-during-after) belt or grinding techniques would be appreciative.

I'm primarily looking to slow down the glazing that occurs on the belts, not necessarily the loss of abrasive on the belt.

For example, when my belt is glazed up pretty good and is just creating heat, I'll actually take an old surface-grinding wheel that has been soaked in soapy water, turn my grinder off, and press it against the belt as the belt slows to a stop. It does remove some of the glazing and extend the belt a little, but this does remove some of the abrasive as well. This also works when grinding S90V or some of the other highly wear resistant materials.

Current belt of choice is the Norton 60 grit SG.

Thanks for anything,

Scott

whv
05-15-2003, 08:43 PM
i can't answer this from experience, but some of the folder guys may have a tip or two.
welcome to ckdf!

Steve
05-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Might want to slow the belt down, but I'm not that experienced with titanium.
Sorry.
Anyone else?

Mike Hull
05-16-2003, 12:12 PM
http://www.desmond-stephan.com/

http://www.desmond-stephan.com/beltbrassive_dressers.html

Darren Ellis
05-16-2003, 01:23 PM
In regards to Mike's post, I've never used them but I called the company and here are the prices for various ones:

24110 = $36.00 dresser/blade 200-300 grain

24120 = $20.40 extra blade for 24120 dresser

24210 = $35.60 dresser/blade 60-200 grain

24220 = $16.80 extra blade for 24210 dresser

24410 = $14.50 dresser/blade 0-60 grain

24420 = $3.95

The company sells through distributors, so you can call them to see if they have one local to you. Also, she told me that the 24410 model has steel like teeth, similar to a wheel dresser, and the others have sort of a rotating wire wheel thing.

:)

-Darren

Frank Niro
05-17-2003, 11:36 PM
Hello Mike. The information I have received that works best is to slow your belt speed down if you can and then use less pressure.It may not sound like much but it does help considerably. Frank

Chuck Bybee
05-22-2003, 04:56 AM
I don't make knives but I do grind titanium.

Slowing the belt speed down makes the belts last longer and you won't get as many fires! I adjust the speed so I get just an occasional spark. I used to use 3M 977F 60 grit until I tried Klingspor CS610 60 grit (I'm reading the back of the belt). The Klingspor salesman said the belt has a built in lubricant and the grit fractures under mild-medium pressure. I think they work better and last longer than any belt I've tried so far.

I'm planning to buy a belt dresser soon.

Steve
05-23-2003, 02:16 AM
Thanks, Mike, Darren, Frank and Chuck. I think we have the answer. That's great!

Scott Cook
05-23-2003, 02:38 PM
Ditto what Steve said,

Chuck, I should have known to call you on this. I'll be checking out those belts soon.

I called some folks about "belt dressing", and haven't received much back on it. Most of these focus on the build up of material or load in the belt when grinding softer stuff. Be sure to post if someone finds something.

Slow and easy - Maybe I don't need my sunglasses on anymore!

Thanks to all,

Scott

tom mayo
05-27-2003, 04:17 PM
dont you know:

The faster I go.............the behinder I get!!! :eek: :confused: :eek:

Steve
05-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Danke, Tom. Good observation. Slow can be fast.

Neil Blackwood
06-01-2003, 08:06 AM
I gotta come here more often :) Great info for sure.

The Klingspor CS610 60 grit that Chuck mentioned DOES work best from what I've found.........myself!! Thanks for letting me know about this CHUCK!!:p The faster we can grind Ti. the faster we will order more:D I don't run mine slow, full speed but light pressure letting the grit do the work seems to work best. Sparks a flyin', Ti. particles a POPPIN' 8o

Geno
06-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Which is more important, the price of a belt, or your time?
Choice is yours.;)

Frank Niro
06-03-2003, 01:43 AM
I tried one of those Klingspor 610"s today on titanium. Chuck is right they do a better job and stand up real well at full grinder speed. I also raked a 612 belt after it had stopped cutting with the visible titanium fine spots . That helped that belt too. The rake was just a standard one for dressing stone wheels no name and no number. Both of the Klingspor belts were 60 grit. Frank.

tom mayo
06-06-2003, 02:03 AM
I tried some different belts since reading this thread, Norton Hoggers for one, I have used them before but tried them again, and I can say for certain that nothing holds up to titanium as well as the yellow premium ceramic 3M belts. I grind more titanium than just about anyone I know and those other belts just dont last.

Neil Blackwood
06-06-2003, 07:36 AM
Tom,

That's odd, becuase I use the same 3M belts for steel and the cobalt alloys with good success but find the Klingspores work better for Titanium. Maybe the fact that I have a LITTLE more weight to apply to the workpiece has something to do with it :)

I find that the only thing the Norton Hoggers work well for is shaping nasty handle materials, ironwood, CF, etc. I find that if the Hoggers load up with crud like desert ironwood, they clean easily with a belt cleaner and are ready to go, over and over. That darn "F-18" CF wears out the 3M belts as fast as Stellite :(

tom mayo
06-06-2003, 02:45 PM
ok, I'll bite, where can I get some of them to try? Will someone have them at the show next week?

Steve
06-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Not being anything but truthful here. I'm getting all excited. If you're talking Atlanta, Tom, that means I might have the opportunity to meet you, in person, next week-end.

As Dogman would say, Wowza!

tom mayo
06-07-2003, 12:21 AM
I didnt think you went to that show.........I will have to be on my best behavior!!!

NOT!!!!!! :D

Catch up with me at the BADLANDS booth or at the BUCK booth or I will come look you up.

Steve
06-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Just dropping in for a meeting. No table, but I'll look y'all up, for sure.