View Full Version : what speed to cut mammoth ivory

SVanderkolff
05-13-2003, 09:29 PM
I picked up a chunk of mammoth ivory at the last knife show and am now trying to figure out how to cut it into slabs. My metal cutting bandsaw is by far the most accurate bandsaw I have so I was wondering if I could use that to cut the ivory and if so at what speed.
Thanks
Steve

whv
05-13-2003, 09:46 PM
all the advice i've seen advocates the use of sharp (=new) tools / blades / bits and avoiding heat at all cost. sounds like slow would be best, but i still haven't had the nerve to try it myself.

Steve
05-14-2003, 03:04 AM
Just saw it using the typical speed you use for handle materials. If the blade is not sharp, it will creat heat, fast or slow. Maybe a fairly coars tooth set up, like 8-10/inch, or even lesss. I generally use a 10/14 tooth and it works fine, if it's sharp. Don't worry about it, it just cuts. Heat is the main problem, so try to avoid that and a good blade will do just that, if you don't push too slowly.

Any other ideas?

Don Cowles
05-14-2003, 06:39 AM
I had the same concerns several years ago when I first started working with ivory, so I asked Rick Fields. He told me he used a 6-10 TPI blade on his wood-cutting bandsaw. That is what I have been doing ever since, with excellent results.

Resawing (the slicing of scales from a thick slab) will be an extremely slow process using even the fasted speed on a metal-cutting bandsaw.