View Full Version : OT Anyone own a Knife Sharpening/Rental Business?

alchemy knife
05-12-2003, 02:15 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm hoping some of you all might have done this in the past, or know someone who can help.

I am getting ready to close down my brick and morter knife store. (Economic casualty).

The good news is I am keeping my on-line store as it is supporting itself already. However it is not yet at the point that I can make a living from it. While I have over 13 yrs of sales experience, I am a bit too old and set in my ways to really want to work for someone else.

I have been considering opening a mobile sharpening/cutlery rental business. I have a general idea how to go about it, and have been sharpening knives professionally for almost 10 yrs. There is no one in my area offering this service, so I feel it is a viable option. Unfortunately, I have only a general idea of what to expect as a full-time option.

Does anyone in here do this type of business? Maybe someone that works in a commercial establishment uses this service. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pam

mikec
05-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Honestly I don't know, but I have heard of it before much like you say there is someone already in your area doing it, so really I'm offering the post only as incourgment.

I don't know what kind of area you live in but I would think of checking with restaurants first and see if it's something you can get into with the chefs, maybe even a service agreement to hold them into a block of time.

Good luck!

whv
05-13-2003, 01:38 PM
pam -
the only fellow i know that has done this is ben dale, the fellow who manufactures edgepro sharpening systems. you could contact him here: edgepro@gorge.net to ask if he can help.

Tim Adlam
05-13-2003, 02:21 PM
Pam,

One thing you might want to try is to approach your area hospitals/clinics and find out what sharpening service they use for their surgical instruments. It may be more convienient for them to use a local service such as yours.
I think Mike Sakmar still does this for the surgeons in his area and until he told me this, I would've never thunk it!

Good hunting!
Tim

...a world without string...and a sharp knife...is chaos.

Geno
05-14-2003, 10:44 AM
There is a guy in the Dallas Ft. Worth area that has a van equipped with sharpening stuff. He goes to each restaurant, Hotel, ect...sharpening as he goes. Some contracts, and some cold calls, he makes a living though. Just a thought.

brendan
05-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Hello Pam,

I think George Tichbourne does sharpening on the side.

You can contact him here: www.tichbourneknives.com (http://www.tichbourneknives.com/)

::brendan::