View Full Version : Hollow-ground chisel with no secondary bevel

Gabe Newell
04-29-2003, 06:31 PM
I've been amusing myself by trying to come up with the sharpest edge possible. I've been working with a low-carbon steel chisel I made, which is easy to grind. The edge will roll if you sneeze on it, but it works for what I'm trying to do.

Anyhow, I flat ground the back, and, using an 8" wheel, I put a hollow ground on the front without any secondary bevel. The chord of the hollow grind was less than 10%.

The resulting edge cut paper like nobody's business. I could easily push cut into the edge of free hanging paper, which is something I haven't been able to do with any knife I've owned. It was actually a little bit eerie.

The edge was also, predictably, very fragile, as I had taken this to an extreme.

I'm wondering if other people have tried the hollow-grind/chisel combination, or have tried edges without secondary bevels? I have an Ed Schott flat-ground zero secondary bevel wharncliffe, and I seem to remember other knife makers who used this approach.

DC KNIVES
04-29-2003, 09:26 PM
Gabe, I have been playing with a convex/ chisel grind. I haven't made many but I like them. They are not as fragile as your hollow ground but not as scary sharp either.I have one I have used as my EDC for almost two years at work and its sturdy.These type of grinds almost always bring some mixed reviews but I like to keep an open mind and experiment.Good luck, Dave:)