View Full Version : Antler scales

DocSmith45
04-28-2003, 12:17 PM
I am a fairly new knife maker. I have some nice pieces of deer antler and would like to cut one piece lengthwise to make some scales. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing so? I have a bandsaw and various handsaws available. My old arthritic hands just aren't reliable enough to run them through the bandsaw by hand. I sure enjoy the discusssion here and have picked up a wealth of information. Great bunch of folks.

Doc

Don Cowles
04-28-2003, 06:06 PM
I think that, if it were me, I would try the bandsaw with the antler held against a rip fence (or a board clamped to the saw table). Use a push stick to finish the cut. You will still need to flatten the cut surface, which you can do very nicely with a disc sander, or with a little more difficulty, on the platen of a belt sander.

I have done quite a bit of this (cut up a 3" long section of ancient walrus tusk yesterday using this same technique) over the years, and it works quite well.

DocSmith45
04-29-2003, 07:24 AM
Thanks Don, That's what I've been thinking about trying. I'm going to need to set up an angular fence which I've done before. I'm a little concerned about getting it all twisted and screwed up with the round bottom. I really appreciate all the tips and and hints you folks share with us novices.

Doc

whv
04-30-2003, 05:28 PM
welcome to ckdf, doc.
you might think about building a sacrificial jig around the piece out of 1/8" or 1/4" ply scraps. that would not only help to hold it solidly during the cut, but also keep fingers/push sticks away from the blade.

DocSmith45
05-01-2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks; In effect that is what I did. Used a small scap of 2x4 and made a "cradle" to hold the antler. Worked pretty well.

Doc