View Full Version : Palm swell...

Chris Daigle
04-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Hey guys. the newest hunter I'm working on has more than enough handle material to include a generous palm swell, but my question is this: how many people like that in a handle design? Everything I've done in the past has had thin, tapered handles that have felt good, but not being a hunter myself, I'd like to hear from you.

Pros, cons, whatever. Let me hear it. And if you have ideas of what a good palm sweel design has, please let me know.

Thanks much,
Chris

GANNMADE
04-23-2003, 08:02 PM
HEY CHRIS, THIS WAS TROUBLE FOR ME AS WELL TILL I STARTED
TO LOOK AT HOW MY HAND HELD A KNIFE. BUT EVERYONE'S HAND ARE NOT ALIKE . THE KNIFE SHOULD ACT AS IF IT GREW THERE .BETWEEN THE THUMB AND INDEX FINGER SHOULD BE WIDER THAN THE BOTTOM OF THE HANDLE.THIS WHAT I LIKE
BUT LIKE I SAID PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT:)

Chris Daigle
04-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Hey Clay, thanks for the reply. Funny you mention the thumb and forefinger because I thought the palmswell started further back than that (hence the name). But as you say, it's a matter of preference. I might try to do something not so pronounced this time around. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks. I'll be calling you soon.
Chris

ragnik
04-23-2003, 09:06 PM
Chris

I also believe its more of a preference, I have hunted since i was 12 and i have used several different knives and I always use the ones that fit my hand the best, the current one i use my buddy hates cause it doesnt fit his hand as well as it does mine!!! To each their own I guess!!

Ross

Michael Sanchez
04-24-2003, 09:30 AM
I don't remember which magazine I read it in but the article was about what collectors and Dealers think are the most important things in a Knife.

If I rember correctly, palm swell was the number 1 thing.

Mike

Geno
04-24-2003, 10:14 AM
Chris, Do it with the palm swell and taper the ends both directions, it WILL sell.
Comfort with a good sized working blade that is not too big, that's what most want.A good palm swell makes the squeeze factor disappear, making a very comfortable working knife that does not fatigue your grip.

Chris Daigle
04-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys. Palm swell it is then. With the scales that are currently on it, it should add dimension to the overall handle...

Chris

Chris Daigle
05-05-2003, 09:18 PM
And let there be swell!

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/daigles/handle.jpg

Thanks once again guys for the advice. This feels very good in the hand...

Chris

Geno
05-05-2003, 10:22 PM
Sure does look good too Chris.
Nicely done.;)

Darren Ellis
05-06-2003, 12:11 PM
Hi Chris,

Interesting thread, and timely for me...I just got three orders from two brothers for skinners of their own design that they wanted palm swells on and finger grooves on the opposite side. I had them come by and we went out to the shop and profiled the knife they wanted in wood and had them hold it and traced their fingers onto the side with the grooves. These should fit them like gloves when done. :)

-Darren

whv
05-06-2003, 07:09 PM
nice job, chris.
darren - good thinking on making the template. every little bit helps when making something for a specific customer.

Chris Daigle
05-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys. Darren, please post pictures of those handles when you are finished!! :cool:

Chris

GANNMADE
05-06-2003, 08:38 PM
I have made knives for some big men all with the same complaint
they can't find a knife that fit's their hands.This is where handmade knives shine.:D

Jerry Shorter
05-07-2003, 09:26 AM
Michael, Chris, The magazine Chris mentioned was Blade, I think. and Palm swell was mentioned as the #1 prefered grip style.
Jerry

Chris Daigle
05-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Jerry, thanks. I was having a brain dump as to where I saw that article. I must have looked through old issues for an hour without coming across that article. I'm gonna try looking again...

Chris