View Full Version : Today was a good Day

cwp
04-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to drop a note to thank you all for all of your help the last little while. I have profiled 3 blades out of O1 and today I got them heat treated. I built a "1-brick" forge out of 5 firebricks and tried the heat treat using a propane soldering torch, but it couldn't get the small blade up to critical. Last night I bought a torch that could handle MAPP gas as well as propane, and it had no problems getting up to temp. So I brought the blades up to temp, checked them with a magnet, and then edge quenched in vegtable oil. I then tempered at 375 degrees with a good 2hr soak, and then left in the oven until cool to the touch. (I tested with a file after hardening, and the file slide off the edge nicely). I have now got all of the blades preliminary cleanup done, and am working on the fine cleanup. The fine goes a little slow since I do it by hand, but is comming along.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help. These are coming along nicely, and everything that I have done to this point came either directly or indirectly (bought some recomended books) from these forums.

Thanks,
--Carl

Ray Rogers
04-20-2003, 08:28 AM
Congratulations, Carl! The hardest part is taking that first step. It's nice to know that all the time we spend writing in these forums is actually doing someone some good. You've got the bug now!

BTW, you'll probably find that one hour one time of tempering O! is sufficient. And, when the hour is up, just pull it out of the oven and let it air cool. I've tried it the way you said but it doesn't seem to make any difference in the blade's performance, it just takes more time....