View Full Version : type o' grind

Omega
04-18-2003, 10:59 AM
i know everone says its personal preference but what kind of grind do you think will take the mosk damage (reg. use not testing)

Bill

Sweeet:evil

GANNMADE
04-18-2003, 11:19 AM
WHAT ARE YOU USING IT FOR THAT'S WERE YOU SHOULD START.
BUT A CONVEX GRIND.I WOULD THINK WILL BE TOUGHER.:confused:

Geno
04-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Convex, then flat, then hollow, by simple geometry.
Convex is the thickest, hollow the thinnest grind, and the strength is relative to the geometry.

Ramsey
04-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Bill,

I like all three which Geno mentioned and it is good to practice and practice until you reach a point where you can make the knife with the style of grind you choose. After grinding quite a few blades I still end up with one on occasion that isn't among those listed above. If it still looks good then I modify it and call it what ever it is closest to for example, a modified flat, modified hollow and modified convex. Probably everyone has done that weather they own up to it or not. Acually any more I delibertly do some modified grinds because I like how they look. I know some who only do one style but I just like doing a variety. Some say necessity is the mother of invention, but in making knives I think slip-ups are:D I have come up with new styles from trying to salvage a knife and not have to throw it away. Can't say that I ever threw a knife away, probably should have....:confused:

Ramsey